Basic CHOPs question: converting data (?)

3278   6   1
245 posts
How can I convert from one graph to the next?

In the first graph I have MIDI In data which produces somewhat of a triangle wave. In the second I have a ramp which extends from 0-1 across the entire animation range, 1 being at the end of the animation, 0 at the beginning. How can I convert between the two graphs, changing the triangle wave into the ramp? In other words this data is coming from a turntable and I need it to rotate and accumulate data, not start again at 0 once the first and subsequent revolutions are completed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
denon_sc_3900_input_ch82.png (249.3 KB)

245 posts
There's more to the puzzle about this topic. When I move the platter back-and-forth as in a “record scratch” the waveform that exists modulates somewhat. Instead of this type of wave
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I get /-_/\^/
or something like that.

What I really need is to have a flat-line that steadily ramps up with the record-movement being highlighted as obvious modulations within the waveform. How can I use the combination of available CHOPs to manipulate the MIDI-In data to expose the data that I am looking for?

Thanks once again in advance.
7725 posts
Not sure about your second question but for the first one, try the Area CHOP.
245 posts
Okay, thanks. The area chop works nicely, to some degree. The problem that I need to address, which I tried to explain in my second question, was the pulse for the area chop.

My waveform modulates from the standard triangle (/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\) to something that introduces variation in the regularity of the triangle wave.

so /\/\/\/—\/'''\/\/\/^^^\/\ is the same as /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ but with some variance in betwixt the peaks and valleys.

How can I take the first waveform which just is a recording of the triangle wave representing platter revolutions and combine it with the one where there is platter revolution on the turntable, “combined” with platter modulations (record-movement-by-hand, a record-scratch if you will) and retrieve the pulse information that would alter the area CHOP?

Does my question make sense now?
7725 posts
Er, not really. Are you trying to determine the areas in the input where there is a high frequency? For that, try the Spectrum CHOP.

PS. Have you seen this book?
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1268&Itemid=66 [sidefx.com]
245 posts
Using a combination of the Area CHOP to generate the initial revolutions (which are applied to a geometry to get the geom to rotate) and combining it with the Spectrum CHOP as you suggested, to get the peaks of high frequency (where high frequency refers to the manual rotation of the turntable platter that I am applying in a back-and-forth motion as would be the case when scratching a record)… Trimming the result of the Spectrum CHOP before applying a combination using Math CHOP … gives me a result that looks right though I can't test the audio that well at the moment (I am doing a system backup and don't want to overload the backup). I will report with a full JPG image of the Motion View to show you my graphs in CHOPs and perhaps add a flipbook animation if that is possible. (Okay, my backup just konked out. Let me see what I can show you in a moment.)

P.S. I have seen that book and as a matter of fact quite some time ago read a good part of it though visually it is difficult to discern the information that is being presented. It is an excellent resource but I just have to get accustomed to the presentation so that I can get what I need out of the information in it.
245 posts
Here is an image and a flipbook animation representing the curve in the image. The flipbook is indicative of the type of “disturbance” that I am giving the “record-platter” with my back-and-forth motion on the platter. However currently the results are not as accurate as I had hoped. It is quite difficult for me to test this against a real audio file that is being “scratched” since I do not yet have all of the necessary hardware that would interpret this. But I am headed in the right direction thanks to your CHOPs suggestions edward.

Attachments:
flipbook_animation.mp4 (2.1 MB)
houdini_forum.png (262.3 KB)

• Quick Links