FLIP sim for quick feedback

2318   4   3
336 posts
I'd love to hear how you folks go about setting up FLIP sims for quick lo-res feedback prior to cooking the real deal. Changing the particle separation affects the behavior of the sim drastically, I realize this is the nature of the beast. Any workflow tips you guys have found that work well I'd love to hear

thanks!

-a
47 posts
Grid Scale is a scalar on the voxel size of the underlying fluid solve. I often increase that to make sure that my simulation is technically working before sending it to the farm to sim at a higher resolution (lower grid scale). I wouldn't rely on the artistic results looking very close between the two, obviously.

Sometimes it helps to do a two pass flip solve. Getting it to look pretty good on a low res sim, then use that sim to emit into a higher resolution sim afterward. That kind of allows you to get the broad strokes in first before adding detail on top of it afterward.
336 posts
Very cool idea using a lower-res sim in to drive the high res. Are you writing it out as points and bringing it back input as a particle field into a flip fluid object?
47 posts
I've just been using the low res sim as the source emitter for the high res and varying the velocities to be like 0.9-1.1 times the velocity of the source.

You can also use the surface/sdf to force the high res sim to be in lock step to the low res just under the surface of the water, depending on what kind of liquid sim it is. This will cause the high res sim to retain the shape of the Los res, while adding surface detail.
32 posts
Thanks for the info Ben, was wondering about this myself
Kind Regards,

Ben
  • Quick Links