How to Pyro!

1852   2   0
210 posts
Ok, I'm currently examining all the Pyro shelf tools. I've watched every Pyro tutorial I could find, I have absolutely no clue how this is working and I'm lightyears away from having control over these setups and adjusting them to my needs.
Please, any hints.
In Maya this is so beautifully easy, in Houdini I absolutely don't know what to do, the controls are all over the place and I'm totally lost. As I said, I've watched every tut I could find: SESI archive, Peter Quint, everything on YouTube, …
17 posts
I think the ‘Help’ Archive do explain every parameters in details. From there, you should be able to figure out how to control it well, like how much flame over smoke, how big should the flames be and so on…
210 posts
Yeah, somehow but that doesn't do the trick entirely because it again just instructs me what parameter dial but not how it works in depth. Besides that the help is also confusing sometimes, there is still a few questions the help doesn't answer.

1. What's up with all these volumes? Why are they necessary?….are they necessary or is it just one way of doing it?

2. The Pyro shelf tools automatically create a Fluid Source node to convert my geo into volumes, by default fuel and temperature. So this is where the volumes are created but for fuel I havn't found a parameter to dial in/out the amount of fuel, where do I controll this?
Besides that it is confusing that: The automatically creates Fluid Source has the method set to Build SDF From Geometry. Below that the Source Attribute is set to fuel. So the volumes fuel and temperature both share the same source attribute fuel. And why is the source attribute actually assigned at all? The help says the source attribute is “Only available when Method is set to Stamp Points.” but the method is set to Build SDF From Geometry. I don't understand the background behind all these attributes and parameters, why they are there and how they interact. I'm partially so confused that I don't even know what confuses me.
  • Quick Links