Is is possible to bring a Paint node into Maya?

6612   10   2
9 posts
Hi guys,

If it's possible, please give me some idea of it.

Cheers,
1799 posts
hey lbwi, are you trying to specifically bring the paint SOP into maya? or to try to be able to paint in maya, then see your painting changes affect something in Houdini?
-G
9 posts
I just want to paint out some polygon points in Maya using the paint node.
818 posts
You can't use Houdini's paint SOP in Maya at the moment. I don't fully understand what exactly you want to do exactly. However, as grayOlorin said, if you simply want to paint a mesh in Maya, and have it affect something in the asset, there might be ways to do it.

For example, you could setup an input geometry on the asset, and use the color attribute to do something inside the asset. Then, in Maya, you can connect an input mesh to the asset, and use Maya's native painting tools to paint colors on the input mesh. So you can effectively paint inside Maya, and have it affect something in the asset.
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
Thank you for the idea.

I want to paint red color and delete points which has red color value. I just have tried it using the maya paint tool. But it doesn't take the red color value in Houdini engine.
818 posts
Hm, is your active colorset the one that contains the red color? The active colorset is the colors that gets mapped to the Cd vertex attribute. Other colorsets are mapped to other attributes named after the colorset. You can save out the Houdini scene from the Maya plug-in to help debugging.

Take a look at the attached asset and Maya file. You should be able to paint on the input mesh interactively, and the points will be deleted from the asset.

Attachments:
delete_red.zip (27.4 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
Thanks Andrew!

I forgot to match the attribute name for the Engine.
6 posts
somehow the example above doesn't work for me.
In maya, are you painting vertexes color or normal 3d paint (based on UV)?
I did few tests, even saving the hip from maya, but I never get any colour attribute in houdini.

lwbi
Thanks Andrew!
I don't understand this too. Does this means you have to call the colorSet or something else in maya in a specific way?
818 posts
AlboDr
somehow the example above doesn't work for me.
In maya, are you painting vertexes color or normal 3d paint (based on UV)?
I did few tests, even saving the hip from maya, but I never get any colour attribute in houdini.
In Maya, you should be painting vertex colors. So you should be able to see the painted colors in Maya's viewport. Then, the color set is passed into the Houdini asset.

What version of the Engine plugin are you using? If it's not a recent version, maybe try updating the plugin.

AlboDr
lwbi
Thanks Andrew!
I don't understand this too. Does this means you have to call the colorSet or something else in maya in a specific way?

In Maya, you can name the color set whatever you want. All the color sets are passed to the Houdini asset. The “current” color set on the mesh is passed as “Cd” and “Alpha” attribute in the asset. The other color sets are passed into Houdini with attributes of the same name. (But for output, only Cd is outputted from Houdini asset into Maya at the moment)
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
Hi Andrew,
thanks very much for the quick reply.
Here at work we are on maya2015, engine plugin vers 1.0, houdini 13.
If there is a newer version, what is that? so I can ask to be installed.

thanks again
818 posts
I suspect that's a fairly old version of the Engine plugin. In the more recent plugin versions, you should see a message like:
// Houdini version: 13.0.713 //
// Houdini Engine version: 1.9 (API: 11) //
// Houdini Engine initialized successfully. //

If you install the latest Houdini 13.0 build (either production build or daily build), you'll get the latest Engine plugin.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links