separate font letters in DOP

2996   2   0
2 posts
I'm just starting to learn Houdini, and I can't get to understand why the letters of a font node don't behave as individuals when using them in DOPs. What I do is:

1) I create text with FONT node
2) Polyextrude text
3) I use ASSEMBLE node to pack geometry, to create groups, and to create name attribute
4) Inside the DOP NETWORK I import the text via RDB PACKED OBJECT. I see there are as many points and primitves as letters (so I understand I have all the letters as separate pieces, isn't it?)
5) I use a GRAVITY node and an RBD SOLVER.

When i simulate all the text behaves as a unique object, and I don't understand why.

I tried to use the CONNECTIVITY node, and tried to PARTITION to create a group with every letter, but I can't work it out right. Somehow all the FONT node is still connected.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't get tol understant what it is.

Any help would be appreciated. What should be the correct way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance
2624 posts
See the attached example. still stuck ask questions, ive thrown it together from an answer I gave in another thread

Rob

Attachments:
packedangularrandomtest_font_rse_fixed.hipnc (221.7 KB)

Gone fishing
2 posts
Thank you for your help. I was doing all ok, except that I was using a RBD SOLVER instead of a RIGID BODY SOLVER. I exchanged one for another and all started to work as expected. I'm newbie enough to still not understand the difference between RBDFand RIGID BODY SOLVER, but I'm looking for it and trying to learn new things.

All working fine now. Thanks again circusmonkey!
  • Quick Links