Optimize Houdini

2051   3   3
17 posts
Hi, I have a very slow PC for CGI (intel core i3-2100,4GB ram,HD7750) but I can work with every tool exept Houdini.It freezes every time I want to do something with higher resolution.It become unresponsive and I have to wait to stop the simulation.Any suggestions?I can´t upgrade my PC at this time so I hope there is something that will help me.Houdini has everything what I need for short action films and I don´t need install any plugins.Help if you can please.Thanks

Sorry for my english.
Edited by - March 9, 2015 05:22:45
17 posts
Really nothing?What about Operating System?I'm on windows 7 now.Do I need to install other one?Ubuntu,OSX or CentOS?Or something else?(I know that install more ram would be the right thing but I can't now)
Staff
4168 posts
I tend to find Linux far more usable; might be worth installing Ubuntu or Linux Mint along side Windows, and give it a go. You'll want to install the proprietary drivers, the open source ones aren't very performant for Houdini (I'm not 100% sure if it's different from Nvidia under Ubuntu, but if you google around, I'm sure there is a wiki page that has info).

Apart from that, flat shaded or wire shaded tend to run slightly faster.

One tactic for heavy scenes: set the cook mode to manual, so that changes will only happen when you click the button (See the gif below).

Hope those ideas help!

Attachments:
screencast-2015-03-05-213328.gif (29.2 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
17 posts
Thnaks.I will install ubuntu later.Before a while I tried to make a flak gun that will shoot on the aircraft but houdini crashed when modeling the gun.And also it crashesh every time I close it.Hope that Ubuntu will help.
  • Quick Links