Basic Chops Question Remapping 0 to 1 but not MATH

2179   3   1
245 posts
Hi. This is a basic question about CHOPs usage rather than a technical discussion topic. I have a joystick and have installed the Joystick CHOP using proto_install. I now find that I have values that mean out at 0.5 and range from 0 to 1. I want to have my joystick, rather than max out at 1 when pushed up or min out at 0 when pushed down… I want it to extend its range until the up position or down position (or left/right) is released. That way I have a greater fine control over the range.

Currently as it stands the responsiveness of the CHOP is so fast that it basically has no lag time to get to 1 or 0 (up or down) (left or right). This potential solution would apply to the buttons too.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
8572 posts
what you may try is to subtract 0.5 with Match chop to make it's mean at 0
and maybe multiply by something to define speed
then use Area CHOP to accumulate values over time
so by pushing it up you will be accumulatively increasing value at speed of how strong you have pushed, by pressing down accumulatively decreasing, by keeping it at the middle , the value would stay as it is

or on top of that you can as well use reset pulse input on Area CHOP to reset the value when you change the direction if that's what you want
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
245 posts
Ah, yes, the Area CHOP. That would work in most cases I think. However I have found that the Area CHOP reduces much of the “noise” that exists in a waveform graph. So if you have lots of joystick motion going on, switching directions, then it might be necessary to try the option you mentioned at the end of your post. I will try them and report back.

Thanks for your post.
245 posts
Looks like I didn't have to use the reset pulse. I find the Area CHOP has a bit of a quirk in it, perhaps because I'm not yet fully accustomed to using the math that it outputs but for all intents and purposes this solution is the right one for me. Thanks!
  • Quick Links