Houdini Engine 14.0.258 and Maya 2015

6183   3   1
8 posts
I just upgraded to 14.0.258 and the engine plug-in is not installed properly.

It is not automatically loaded in Plug-in Manager.

When I tried loading the plug-in manually, I got this error:
// Error: Unable to dynamically load : CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.258/engine/maya/maya2015/plug-ins/houdiniEngine.mll
The specified module could not be found.
So I added this to the beginning of my path variable
C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 14.0.258\bin

Now, I am getting this error instead:
// Houdini version: 14.0.258
// Houdini Engine version: 1.9 (API: 11)
// Houdini Engine initialized successfully.
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure “houdiniEngineCreateUI”. //

What additional paths should I add? Why are these paths not automatically config'ed like usual?

It's Maya 2015 Extension 1 +SP5 on Windows 7 Pro SP1

Thanks!
818 posts
Was Maya 2015 installed after Houdini 14.0.258? If that's the case, Maya 2015 is not configured by the Houdini installer because Maya 2015 wasn't installed at that time. Houdini's installer will only configure the Maya versions that are already installed.

It's easy to configure it manually though. You simply need to copy the plug-in's module file from:
C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 14.0.258\engine\maya\maya2015\houdiniEngine-maya2015
to Maya's directory:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2015\modules

After that, you should see the Houdini Engine plug-in listed in Maya's plug-in manager.
Andrew / アンドリュー
8 posts
Thanks, Andrew.

I installed Houdini after Maya but I also uninstalled some of the old builds I had on my machines. Could this remove the plug-in files from Maya directory?

Anyways, I restarted my machine and reinstalled 14.0.258 again. Now it is installed properly.
818 posts
pwisessing
Could this remove the plug-in files from Maya directory?

Uninstalling Houdini wouldn't remove the module files from the Maya directory. As long as the “last installed” build still exists, then Maya should remain configured to use that build. I'm not sure what went wrong then… :?
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links