Slow Motion FLIP FLUID in H14

6956   11   2
80 posts
Hi folks, I am trying to to do a slow mo FLIP Fluid Splash. I had changed timescale and also have tried timeline FPS but the sim goes terribly wrong. Is their any procedure to make it correctly. Please HELP!
258 posts
Make sure that…

1. You are not reseeding particles in your flip sim and that they have the id attribute, which is on by default.
2. Cache your sim to disk at bgeo(not in the autodop network but on your imported sim points)
3. import your cached bgeo (should just be points with attributes)
4. Append a timeblendSop
5. Use a timewarpSop to remap to your taste.

avoid timescale
80 posts
sl0throp
Make sure that…

1. You are not reseeding particles in your flip sim and that they have the id attribute, which is on by default.
2. Cache your sim to disk at bgeo(not in the autodop network but on your imported sim points)
3. import your cached bgeo (should just be points with attributes)
4. Append a timeblendSop
5. Use a timewarpSop to remap to your taste.

avoid timescale

THANKS a ton and thousand respect! It's working properly!
80 posts
I am seeing, without droplet it works more than fine, but with droplet it gets jerking effect…
80 posts
Finally it's working. What I have understood that to do time shift particles needs to be hold withing the tank or the scene. If a particle got deleted it's ID will be deleted so time warp can not stretch arbitrary IDs supporting the previous ID.

So I made my droplet to blend with fluid instead of kill…Now all ID is safe and Timeshifting is doing fine. Also FLIP tank closed boundaries in every axis needs to be checked to avoid deleting particles….aha…feeling happy now.
260 posts
this method works fine if interpolation works for you, with this you wont get a curved motion in between frames.

Altough in many cases it will work fine.

If you want real slow motion. You need to cache your sources with increments of whatever speed you desire, so I f you want 5 times slower you need to save your animation with increments of 0.2. This will give you 5 frames of animation data per frame. Now you can change the dop substeppes to 5.

This above applies only if you are emitting inside to a sim from an animated object. so this way you will have true slow motion simulation, it will take 5 times more to simulate. After you will have 5 files per frame like water.001.002.bgeo
water.001.004.bgeo
water.001.006.bgeo
water.001.008.bgeo

etc ( sysntax might be wrong dont have houdini in front of me atm)
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
258 posts
I think with a more convoluted vops set-up you can get curved interpolations but I have never set that up, and in most cases linear interpolations seems to be ok.It is true that you can cache sub frame data, but like you said, it increases your sim time, so you kinda just have to see what you can get away with. I would love to get a hold of some kind of file that shows how to to cubic or quadratic interpolation in vops…

I think that droplets, like re-seeding should be avoided for retiming with timeblend
258 posts
I think with a more convoluted vops set-up you can get curved interpolations but I have never set that up, and in most cases linear interpolations seems to be ok.It is true that you can cache sub frame data, but like you said, it increases your sim time, so you kinda just have to see what you can get away with. I would love to get a hold of some kind of file that shows how to to cubic or quadratic interpolation in vops…

I think that droplets, like re-seeding should be avoided for retiming with timeblend
80 posts
tricecold
If you want 5 times slower you need to save your animation with increments of 0.2. This will give you 5 frames of animation data per frame. Now you can change the dop substeppes to 5.

This above applies only if you are emitting inside to a sim from an animated object. so this way you will have true slow motion simulation, it will take 5 times more to simulate. After you will have 5 files per frame like water.001.002.bgeo
water.001.004.bgeo
water.001.006.bgeo
water.001.008.bgeo

etc ( sysntax might be wrong dont have houdini in front of me atm)

Thanks a lot for the info. May be it's a silly question but
1. how can I animate it with increments of 0.2?
2. Increasing substeps in dopnet is giving more velocity in the sim.

Please give me some light. Thanks.
80 posts
sl0throp

I have used droplets with the option blend with sim….It's working properly now. Thanks for your help..
80 posts
Hi, in slow motion FLIP Fluid converted poly surface get flicks problem. Is their any way to fix it?
80 posts
Finally some improvement:
After having lots of flickering issues I started to dig inside. What I did is created a blast sop with group* and primitive group types unchecking everything then I join a pointreplicate SOP with 2> then

VDB particle fluid (limit rflection on and 0, rebuild surface off) > VDB reshape> VDB Smooth SDF> convert VDB.

It's seems working fairly well though some minor flickering is still there. I will do some original mantra render soon What I believe it's coming from Houdini display limit. Not sure though. Any suggestion would be very helpful.

The size of the mov exists limit so here is the test mov link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3K_g8jdWZtuS0s0bkxUNEg4cHc/view?usp=sharing [drive.google.com]
  • Quick Links