Agent SOP missing primitive groups

2858   2   1
1 posts
Hello, I am getting stuck on rendering crowds. The problem is that the agent SOP is not creating primitive groups from FBX. The imported FBX subnet has the geometry tree, but the <agent>_shapelib.bgeo does not have primitive groups. This makes it impossible to apply shading to the crowd.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
9 posts
I'm not sure if this solves what you're asking, but an agent in a crowd won't have primitive groups available because it's packed.

If you create a quick very small test crowd and then unpack it, do you see your groups then?

If that's working then in order to apply group-based shading to packed stuff you need to use the material stylesheets, which are a little messy in 14.0, but the docs and some examples live here: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/shade/stylesheets [sidefx.com]
7733 posts
One (simple) idea is have a different shader assignment done at the primitive-level inside your shape geometries. I've attached a file (agentShade.hip) illustrating this technique. I just have two separate shaders as a test for the hat and tops that are assigned using Material SOPs inside the hat object and the top object. These are just default clay materials that I added hue shift logic based on “packed:id”. Then to make sure that the shaders get included in the IFD stream, I changed the Mantra ROP's Rendering > Render > Declare Materials parameter to “Save All Material SHOPs”.

Attachments:
agentShade.hip (7.4 MB)

• Quick Links