First attempts with SUSE

7845   15   1
175 posts
Ok, so I heard a lot and read a lot of great things about this system's stability, performance and other.
I'd like my internet operations to be as secure as possible and my system as efficient.
Blah blah…
I downloaded the evall of SUSE 9.2 and after some eyes wide open mind holds the system was installed on an empty drive (to avoiv data loss)

I was very happy, after adjusting my video card, I was less happy after ensuring that I hav absolutely no idea how to connect all of this to my main XP workstation to copy houdini apprentice over lan.
I underscore that these are my absolutely first attempts to fight any system but windows. I have no idea how it works and what to do.
After some struggle I installed apprentice 7 where it wanted to be installed (because file structure is soooo odd for me here) adn now I stand in front of you, naked from ideas what to do and begging for some instructions.
When I go to THE directory and write “houdini_setup” or houdini_setup hkey“ this bloody beast dare to tell me ”permission denied“!
I've already turned the firewall down and changed user to root (su root)

I'm downloading SUSE docs right now, but if you could help me advisig some book to overwhelm this monster I'd b ”all swinging all dancing".

Thanks for your patience and any help.

Peter
4140 posts
Certainly I can offer some help, but it really sounds to me like you're trying to canter before you can walk(forget about galloping ). Linux is an entirely new operating system, with a completely different philosphy about almost everything compared to windows. I wouldn't even entertain the notion of trying to get up and running in application-land on my own with no TD or sysadmin without a certain amount of very basic understanding of the shell, common commands, etc. I strongly recommend you do that asap so you're not sitting there in jaw-gaping amazement that paths don't use the backward slash anymore…unless it's an escape character, typically used with filenames with spaces…arrrgh! You see what I mean - it's too much all at once.

To get you a short distance, though, “houdini_setup” isn't a command, it's a script - nor is it executable(scripts can be, though). You must navigate to the directory that file exists in(important in this case), and enter:

source houdini_setup_bash

if you're using the default shell that SUSE gives you, or if for some reason you are running csh(which I prefer coming from IRIX but isn't default), then you'd use the houdini_setup.

Now you can run houdini - but if you've never setup licensing before on linux, this is probably going to get very frustrating very quickly.

Try to imagine someone who's never ever run windows in their life trying to get Houdini running. You need a certain basic level of understanding, which you do before trying this. Same here. It's not terribly worthwhile people giving you step by step instructions because until that basic stuff is under your belt, you won't get it(also it will take forever).

Read the SUSE User guide - it's a start, and their docs are excellent. That should get you on a roll.

Good luck! Licensing might be easier than I'm guessing, but I think you need a proper system name and I'm not sure about the whole IP business and what Houdini needs - here at work we have all that defined statically so perhaps someone else can jump in about that.

Cheers, and give it some time! It's new!

J.C.
John Coldrick
175 posts
Thanks, I know you are right but I just wanted to check if linux would pay off.
If it's advantages are so valuable that compensate all problems with configuration, dual system issues and all I don't know about yet.
With XP there are lots of performance/crashing problems but they are everywhere and due to this fact it's a complete working environment from 3D to editing.
I read that opengl is in many cases faster on linux. Rendeing is rocksolid because of clever memory mamagment and there are more advantages everybody says.
Is it really worth the time invested in getting knowledge?
I'm very stubborn and want to try it but I'd like to know how it really differs in everyday houdini work? (if everything is there, configured and running)

Thank you, I'll try not to ask stupid questions about my new pet

cheers

Peter
4140 posts
You've pretty well nailed many of the reasons why IMHO linux(and unix in general) has big advantages over windows. The downsides are that of course you can't hope to have the range of choices of apps, and for many users learning linux means learning a brand new OS. Most users already have at least a passing understanding of windows, whereas when I got into the biz I had barely used it - I started on Irix(before that amiga and DOS, ugh). It's easy to see why it's often difficult to convince windows-only users why unix has advantages in the biz, whereas if you take unix away from me and force me to use windows? Grrrr.

Is it worth it for *you* to take the time? That's a really tough question. It's not like it's some impenetrable curve you're unlikely to scale - it's actually very logical and straighforward, and if you stay away from all the ponderous tech hacking and setting up(something SUSE is excellent at separating you from), then it's that much easier. You can still use icons, and start menus, and all that, but more power will come to you if you learn a shell and some of the basic commands that come with linux. It's not DOS, that's for sure. I think you should just start reading, get into it, and see how you take to it. I certainly wasn't trying to intimidate you away from anything - it was more about starting with the basics first, then move on. You *won't* need to be a hacker to setup and run Houdini on Linux.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
398 posts
You *won't* need to be a hacker to setup and run Houdini on Linux
You *won't* need to be a hacker to setup and run *any* Linux distro if you have a time to read TFMs
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
175 posts
Thanks guys
Im in.
I started here http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk [linux-newbie.sunsite.dk],
printed all out and I'm getting through.
I download the manuals but I probably should purchase the system since I like printed form.
I'm pretty sure I'll use it as my primary system.
After few tens of pages and some playing with basic shell commands (I printed also “Working with the shell” chapter) I'm beggining to get excited.

Also If I'd like to buy it, should it be 9.3 or later but tested 9.2 version?
How houdini (not master) is packaged? When I purchase a copy should I specify the platform or is it available for different platforms right out of the box?

cheers

Peter
4140 posts
Be sure to run through and complete the user guide before trying to get into sysadmin stuff. Also, SUSE's manuals are the best, so they'll get you up faster than stuff on the web oriented to Redhat and other distros. It's tough with RH's domination of a lot of the market to be clear, as a beginner, what's a Redhat tool or hack, and what SUSE uses. SUSE uses Yast for configuring and keeping your system up to date - use that *always* before getting into editing config files by hand, as per typical web guides. My rule is “do it SUSE's way first, then if that doesn't get what you want, go to the web”. Also, always always be sure to install from the SUSE distro before going out and downloading versions of software - they've done a lot of work ensuring particular versions work well together - use that as a base. there's masses of software with that distribution - more than any other, I think.

I'm using 9.3 and prefer it to 9.2 - typically that's not the case because of product maturity, as you suggest. I think you're safe with 9.3, though, and you'll enjoy it more.

Cheers and have fun!

J.C.

P.S. If you do purchase, be sure to update often. They patch and get fixes for things rather quickly.
John Coldrick
175 posts
It works

I read so many excellent reviews on linux for 3D that I'm definitely going to spare some money not investing in new XP
It's not hard it's only different.
I have problems with setting my radeon 3D acceleration but it maybe due to not updated system as far as my research reached.
I can't render also because no iplay window appears nore the region fills up with coloured buckets but these are details.

thanks for your help

Peter
412 posts
hey peter,

i'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you are with this new to linux coming from xp experience.. personally, for me it's the advantages of things you mentioned plus a few others including supporting OSS, being able to have another tool under my belt, and knowing that 95% of this industry is using it..

on that note, i've found this to be an *excellent* scripting/shell guide (for bash).. there's also a pdf to dload of the same thing..

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/ [tldp.org]

speaking of the SUSE 9.2 eval… have you noticed any limitations from the paying version? Maybe ads somewhere saying to purchase the full version? just curious if you noticed anything..
Dave Quirus
175 posts
Hello deecue,

Nice not to be alone
I'm not sure if I can help you, I don't know anything about differences between eval and commercial, but right now I'm looking for a closest reseller to go and purchase 9.3 so I'm not digging anymore.
I haven't seen ANY ads or anything saying that it's not a full release.
Don't trust me though because I'm really a beginner in linux field
Perhaps you can find something on novell website.

Thanks for the link, I'm kind of resource hungry, the first stadium of newsoft sickness.

I can't wait to run my “3D acceleration”.

Cheers

Peter
4140 posts
Careful of that card - ATI isn't the best option for linux 3D acceleration. I'd recommend NVidia for stability. ATI is getting better, but from what I've heard, it's still got issues. Linux's key issues in our biz tends to be about the graphics card more than anything.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
175 posts
The fact is, I can't install any of them, they work with default drivers but not with ones downloaded from vendors. I haven't updated suse though and probably this is the problem.
I'll hold and wait for my newly ordered 9.3. Now I don't even have an internet connection and I'm trying to set it up.
Graphic cards tend to produce problems all the time. My radeon crashes or suddenly becomes impossibly slow. My old Ti 4600 also has some issues I hope linux could fix. I read on many forums that open gl is faster and cause less troubles in linux.
I have to see for myself.

Thanks

Peter
52 posts
Hello peliosis,

I've experienced some of your problems with Houdini in Windows, many crashes , but a few days ago I've installed SuSE 9.3, Houdini, and I must say that Houdini runs better than in Windows (as I expected), OpenGL is faster, no more crashes… I had a little trouble with installing drivers and video codecs for watching VTMs, but if you do the update it will be ok!

Have a lot of fun! (that seems to be SuSE motto )
Keep working! Johnny Worker!
4140 posts
I doubt SUSE updates will help your graphics problem. It's the driver from the manufacturer that's the issue - for both ATI and NVidia. You need to get those to solve your troubles, and it does indeed sound like ATI still hasn't got their act together yet. I've avoided them like the plague and have had only happiness.

You need to spend some money to get a decent card, though - don't go with an old, out of date NVidia or things will be just as bad. Get a recent NVidia, not a gaming card(although some of them aren't bad at all anymore), and things will go much, much smoother.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
175 posts
On nvidia site they advise to update kernel befor installing the drivers, thats where my idea is from.
I'm not sure about pro cards because there are two options : VERY expensive or quite expensive and slow. There are some good opinions on “gaming” geforces and houdini on odforce.
Well, this way or another they are just too expensive for me at the moment, I'd rather go for 6600 GT or 6800.
About linux, I'll have my SUSE in a week or so, then I'll sit and try to examine if my current hardware is going to cooperate.
With computer hardware I don't like one thing, It's loosing it's value faster than anything. A brand new allpowerful card is worth nothing in next two years

Ok I quit my mumbling for a moment.

Thanks

Peter
4140 posts
I've been down the kernel route recently - just to point out, you probably don't want to upgrade the kernel beyond the patches SUSE offers…it's 2.6.11, which is nice and recent. There was a serious problem with kernels before this in *64 bit* - would that be what you're referring to? Anyway, if it is, yup, it was a problem, and yup, 9.3 and the latest NVidia drivers addresses it.

Any tech, you buy it, use it till it's a doorstop, toss it. It's a mug's game waiting for it(for the most part, although I'll admit the changes over the last half year with SATA, PCIe and 64 bit are profound enough to account for a little bit of sitting on your hat), it's also a mug's game if you buy something with a serious intent to upgrade farther away than a year or so. Upgrading's a pain, there's always some other part of the system that will be behind the rest, just buy what you need now and use it. Don't feel badly, because I don't care how much you spend, the day you take delivery, there's a transport filling with something better/cheaper/faster on it's way to your store at the same time. Brag about your shiny new system in a forum, someone else has something better, and you'll hear all about it. Not worth the stress. Use and enjoy.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links