Animating and Keyframing in Houdini

6819   5   2
174 posts
Hi,
I've digged a bit of this one so i have some questions regarding the workflow, i'll update this thread along my tests…

1. the ticks marks between the main timeline and the animation editor one, doesn't align, the main timeline is 0 based and the animation editor is 1 based. Of course it's unconvenient to animate like that.
I assume there is a setting somewhere, i can't find it ?

2. How to manipulate frames seriously, i mean, in softimage we have the transform tool + the numeric transform tool. With a tool like that i can:
- Inverse multiples keyframes at once in X or Y, i can't do that right now in houdini right ?
- Rescale in Y multiples keyframes at once
- A retime tool is missing too

3. Can we normalize independently curves i can't find this ? i mean, not maximizing all visible in one go but every ones independently so we can actually show each curve, each one maximised, on the same view

4. Am I missing something or you can't display a particulary mesh in wireframe on the Geometry/Render/Display As . Is it available somewhere, it's a grat addition when you whant to “ghost” things…
258 posts
1. I agree that the graph editor should have the ability to start at 0, but I also always set my timeline to start at 1. You can do this in the Global Animation Properties, down at the lower right.

2. Hmm maybe I mis-understand, but if you go to views>show box handle, this should give you the bounds of your selection, where you can move and scale keys in any direction.

3. Change your menu drop down from All Scoped Channels, to Channel Per Graph?

4. I agree that this would be helpful, you can display as points to some effect but the wireframe toggle at root level would be helpful
174 posts
You give me good advices, sorry I'm alone in this Houdini learning curve… thank you !

For the thick marks i persist it's like any rulers… Having the grid aligned to 21 22 23 doesn't make any sens to me ;-)
4189 posts
Not wireframe, but a bit similar, you can turn on X-ray for each object.

RMB in viewport - ‘Geometry’ menu -> Xray, or, turn in List View in the Network view, the ‘X’ column
174 posts
Huh ! “XRay” icon is the same icon on the tree view as the “expose flag” on the bundle list.

By the way Is there any “Viewport Display Flag” available as a direct comparaison to Softimage “display” and “render” flags.
(I'm aware of the geo/tab/render/Display As/none but it's not an easy switch)

How do you manage working on big scenes for example isolating some geo temporarly without affecting render states ? using only the force object flag in the renderer ?
174 posts
@sl0throp for the timeline start frame, are we Ok when you set it to start at 1 the timeline displays 1 25 50 75 100
although animation editor display 1 26 51 76 101

is it sort of a bug ?
  • Quick Links