New great laptop

14685   18   2
175 posts
Check this out!

http://usa.asus.com/event/z71v/index.htm [usa.asus.com]

Fabulous! Something I've waited for.
Not an “ultimate gaming machine” = overheating and noisy desktop in notebook enclosure and not a pricey M70 great but not without issues.

Can somebody tell a bad thing on asus laptops? I haven't toch one yet but this looks tempting.

cheers

Peter
405 posts
Hey Peter,

I replied to this thread ealier but it did not take. Asus makes good quality hardware. I buy their motherboards all the time for my custom built computers. They also made the best NVIDIA Game card out there that you could buy so I would defantly take a look at buying that notebook. They usally charge a bit more but their stuff is top notch.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
175 posts
Hello Nate,

I had only good experience with asus also and heard they produce quality notebooks. AFAI read, this one has some not very nice screen coating, but for me it looks like the best option today.
And the price is moderate. I'm not expecting it in Europe very soon though.
I look for notebook for quite a long time and it's a hard choice. Most of therm are on ATI whoat is not too good for H.

cheers

Peter
4140 posts
Things always change, but be aware that ASUS has a big black blotch on it's report card in the Linux community. It's notorious for doing little things that make it highly compatible with MS, but will break on Linux. Their support for Linux is terribly shoddy to boot - they've been asked by the community to address certain things that wouldn't affect MS installs and would help Linux installs, and they've simply refused. Some say they're in bed with MS financially - don't know about that. It's not like it *won't* work - it's just that it's yet another variable to consider if you're thinking Linux(and I only mention this because of your other thread on Linux… ).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
175 posts
shit
405 posts
Hey JC,

I have never heard of their linux problems interesting. I have a Asus board in both of my computers and I have never had a problem but that is not to say that is not the case with other Asus products. What are you refering to in particular. Is there a thread that this is listed or something?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey Peter,

What JC said may pertain to this notebook because Monarch Computer offers linux on 90% of their computers. Well guess what its not an option on this notebook they are selling.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=700015&Category_Code=Notebook [monarchcomputer.com]

Which is the very notebook you are looking at. I will hunt for some linux compatable computers. I have been on Linux for about 8 years now so I know alot of places to get linux stuff.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey Peter,

If you can talk them into installing a NVIDIA into this notebook then I would say you would have a pretty great notebook.

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2464.html [linuxcertified.com]
http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2500.html [linuxcertified.com]

Linux + NVIDIA Highend Cards
http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/dell/rhino/?tab=details&id=261 [emperorlinux.com]

Tons of Linux Compatible Notebooks including Asus ones.
http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/nsintro.html [vgcomputing.com.au]

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
4140 posts
Hey - Asus was the first motherboard I installed a Linux production system on! I said clearly it's not like you *can't* - just be aware that when you get into the rather difficult world of laptops(where linux support automatically is more difficult anyway - ask someone installing Linux on a Dell laptop!), it's one more variable.

Here's the first, but not the only article on Asus' attitude towards Linux. The OEM's story is telling…

http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html [mozillaquest.com]

My point is - would I want to support and risk hassles with a company like that, or one that actively supports OS's other than just Windows?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
405 posts
Hey JC,

JC I am not arguing that you didn't say that at all. I read that in your post. I was just wanting to know for my own personal knowledge what problems you encountered with Asus and Linux. Your post is literally the first time I had heard of it. I am not challenging the Authenticity of your statements or posts. I just personally have not run into this problem but I am always interested knowing of problems with particular hardware companies and I am always on the look out for hardware that is well made and linux compatible because it makes life sooooooo much easier like you stated. Thats why I was posting the laptops that had worked out linux solutions with them.

I like the Dell one that I posted most because you can do a dual boot on it if you want of both Linux and Windows and it is setup for Animation:

http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/dell/rhino/?tab=details&id=261 [emperorlinux.com]

Here is an additional article on it.
http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=2932&page=6 [cgnetworks.com]

Trust me I know all about the nightmares of trying to get linux on a machine and notebooks are the worst for this that was not made with Linux compatible hardware. You try and install Linux on a non-compatable notebook and you just won't be installing linux period because you will never even make it through the installation alot of times because it can't get in the working drivers.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
175 posts
I've read some pages about asus and linux
There really are some problems I just don't wan't to meet.
As JColdrick said it's better to choose a linux supporting company.
Just not to get angry all the time.
But I can't see an alternative at the moment, not so many vendors offer systems with new geforce cards
I looked at IBM since they are known to support linux but the only nvidia laptop is a laptop with an old nvidia
The thing is worth waiting a while though, I'm sure they'll appear at siggie or earlier.
I've learned too many times that rush is a bad advisor.
If I miss something please point it.

cheers

Peter
405 posts
Hey Peter,

Well as far as I can tell that Dell Computer does not have an Asus Broad in it. So it should be fine. It has the NVIDIA Quadro 1400 FX Go card in it and has about 80 gigs of hard drive space. It also scored really high for the GFX speeds. Its in that linux to the Emporer Linux Rhino. The article link is the 2nd one on it.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
175 posts
It is a great computer only the price is soooo freakin' high.
For that money I'd like it to have a beer fridge and a pcmcia glass holder

cheers

P
405 posts
Hey Peter,

No no do like some of the people that call into the tech help line about their mug holder being broken on their computer. They just use the CD Rom drive or the DVD drive to hold their drinks until it breaks. I mean its nice and convient the way it slides into you computer almost as if the inventor knew you would like to have a drink holder come in out of your computer. I mean what could be more convient.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
112 posts
Anyone tested any of the new notebooks running an ATI's? Unless I pay upwards of 4k for the likes of Boxx or Alienware, it seems all the notebooks I see (HP, Toshiba,etc.) at the local stores run on ATI's.

So, wanted to get some feedback given the laptop thread.
www.tirgari.com
175 posts
Are you sure you want an ati card?
I'm having constant problems in windows with radeon 9700 and I cannot get 3d acceleration to work on it under linux. Not many 3d guys would recommend ati. also, make as broad research as possible when it comes to notebook, there are many reviews.
The best choice is probably the m70, not too cheap though.

P
112 posts
Not gonna be running linux on the notebook. what specific issues have people been having with ATI? Open GL issues? Crashes?…

I just checked the m70 prices….insane! No way I would pay that price for a notebook.
www.tirgari.com
175 posts
Problems with ati…mainly driver related probably. You can experience different bugs on different driver versions, I can tell you about mine.
When I first load a scene it seems ok (wireframe display is fast) after changing to shaded once, everything slows down even after backing off to wireframe.
Strange glitches of the interface, locking panels (not updating, displaying strange coloured boxes)
All spectrum of artifacts, especially these related to camera fov (you have to set it to very wide angle to see it shaded properly) etc. etc.

That does not mean I didn't forced it to work just fine, that was after hacking to fire gl on w2k and the speed wasn't much better than my old Ti 4600.

Apart from all of this, the card is great…for doom and halflife

Personally I'd never recommend an ati for serious 3D, just too much time spent on trying testing and getting frustrated.

Have I mentioned I'm unable to force 3D acceleration under suse 9.3?
Not any(!!!) problems with nvidia here also.
Just to add - openGL performance is better and more stable under linux.

As for laptops you can try toshiba tecra something, it has FX 6600 and is quite nice.

cheers

Peter
2199 posts
You want the Toshiba Qosmio series - pure sex - all black - 1Gb ram, 200 Gb hard disk - DVD RW - and Nvidia 6600 graphics card.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links