Error In Houdini Engine 14.444 For Maya 2016 SP2 64Bit

8771   15   1
9 posts
Using Maya 2016 SP2
When I launch Houdini Engine for Maya, it loads fine but as soon as I load an asset it displays this in the Script Editor

// Houdini version: 14.0.444
// Houdini Engine version: 1.9 (API: 20)
// Houdini Engine initialized successfully.
// Error: Could not load OTL file: CUsers/Saif Ali/Downloads/SideFX__TrackBuilder.otl //
// Error: HAPI Error: No Valid Licenses Found
- HAPI_LICENSE_MODE unset or is set to ‘default’ meaning Houdini Engine will first try to acquire a Houdini Engine license and if one is not found it will try to acquire an interactive Houdini license (Houdini then Houdini FX).
- No Houdini Engine license found.
- No Houdini license.
- No Houdini FX license found.
- No Houdini Engine Indie license found.
- No Houdini Indie license. //

Where as I've a valid licence for Houdini FX 14 Build 444 64Bit!
And Houdini Engine for Unity works fine, also Houdini FX is working fine!
Just this plugin's not working!
818 posts
If you run Houdini License Administrator from the menu Houdini Engine -> Help and Support -> Houdini License Administrator, do you see your license listed there?

If you are using a firewall, could you also try disabling your firewall? It's possible that the firewall is causing the license issue.
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
I've license for Houdini FX!
Which installs Houdini Engine, Apprentice and Indie, So I did not install Houdini Engine! Although I don't see Houdini Engine in Start menu!
But Houdini Engine For Unity3D just works fine! I don't see if it's a Firewall Issue Although I've a Advanced Firewall setup!

Please can you address the issue? Do you know any temporary workaround?
818 posts
Firewall settings can target specific program, so it's possible that the firewall is blocking only Maya and not Unity. Can you try disabling your firewall?
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
I did disable my firewall andrew!
but still it didn't do any good!
818 posts
Try run the Houdini License Administrator. The menu is inside Maya, after you load the Maya plugin: Houdini Engine -> Help and Support -> Houdini License Administrator. Once you launched it, click View -> Diagnostic Information. Save the text into a file, and send it to me in a private message.
Andrew / アンドリュー
818 posts
Thanks for the diagnostics.

It looks like you have two different Houdini versions installed (14.0.201.13 and 14.0.444). Are you able to run Houdini for both versions? When you run Unity, is it using the 14.0.201.13 version?

Maybe you can try setting Maya to use the 14.0.201.13 version. You can do this by:
1. In “D:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 14.0.201.13\engine\maya”, there should be a file called “houdiniEngine-maya2016”. Copy that file.
2. Paste the file into: “D:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\modules”. The file should already exists there, so just overwrite it.
3. You may also need to kill the hserver.exe process from Windows' Task Manager
4. Start Maya, and try to load the asset.
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
No I'm just running the 444 build, the license manager is old I guess! Yes Unity shows 444 in the installation info!
and the Engine API 1.9.20
The only problem is with Maya!
Anyways I'll give a go to what you posted! thanks!
Houdini FX is love BTW!
9 posts
I tried and copied “houdiniEngine-maya2016” from “D:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 14.0.201.13\engine\maya” to “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\modules” but that didn't do me any good! I killed the hserver.exe process and launched Maya! the plugin didn't show in the manager! I dynamically tried to run the plugin i.e mll file in my Houdini Engine Directory which threw an error saying
// Error: file: CProgram Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 46: Plug-in, “houdiniEngine”, was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //

Or // Error: file: CProgram Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 781: Unable to dynamically load : DProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 14.0.444/engine/maya/maya2016/plug-ins/houdiniEngine.mll
The specified module could not be found.
//
// Error: file: CProgram Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 781: The specified module could not be found.
(houdiniEngine)

Although when I copied “houdiniEngine-maya2016” from “D:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 14.0.201.13\engine\maya\maya2016” and I relaunched maya It loaded up the plugin but when I tried to load an asset it said, unable to acquire a license! I had to manually run the server again, but then again same problem!
9 posts
How can I change the HAPI_LICENSE_MODE to houdini_fx_only ?
Maybe that would work?
818 posts
The HAPI_LICENSE_MODE variable is only useful when you have multiple licenses. Since you only have one license, it shouldn't make a difference.

Can you try running this python code inside Maya? This checks if Maya is able to contact the license servers.
import socket
for p in :
try:
s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.connect(('127.0.0.1', p))
print “Opened”, p
s.close()
print “Closed”, p
except:
import traceback
traceback.print_exc()
If it works, the code should output:
Opened 1714
Closed 1714
Opened 1715
Closed 1715
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
Exact same output awong!
Opened 1714
Closed 1714
Opened 1715
Closed 1715

Can you please tell me how to change the HAPI_LICENSE_MODE to houdini_fx_only! I'll be very thankful!
818 posts
It's an environment variable. There are a few possible places you can set. The easiest is probably Maya.env, which is a file used by Maya:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-8EFB1AC1-ED7D-4099-9EEE-624097872C04-htm.html [knowledge.autodesk.com]

You'd need to add a line like:
HAPI_LICENSE_MODE=houdini_fx_only

I don't think that'll help with your problem though. Since the default behavior will already use Houdini FX license.
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
Didn't help either!
Added the environment variable but still!
818 posts
Maybe we can try enabling some logging from the license server. There are a few steps:
1. Run these MEL commands from Maya to enable logging:
file -f -new;
if(!`pluginInfo -q -loaded houdiniEngine`) loadPlugin houdiniEngine;
print `system(“sesictrl -V 4 -z 25000000 -l C:\\sesinetd.log”)`;

2. Run Unity, and load an asset.

3. Go back to Maya, and load an asset.

4. Run these MEL commands in Maya to get the logs:
print `system(“sesictrl -V 0”)`;
print `system(“set”)`;
print `system(“sesictrl -f”)`;
print `system(“type C:\\sesinetd.log”)`;

5. Copy and paste the entire Script Editor output into a text file, and send me the file through PM.
Andrew / アンドリュー
9 posts
Sent you the log!
Anyways here's the checklist!
Step 1 Done
Step 2 Done
Step 3 Done Although It Didn't Load
Step 4 Done
Step 5 Done!
  • Quick Links