Amazon EC2, Call to undefined function 'expand_udim'.

4789   18   2
22 posts
Hi again
I get another error with my job on amazon cloud
Submission and pre-flight work well now, my job is now in the amazon cloud. But…
I'm using H14.0.444. I use only standard clay shader and i get this error every frame
Call to undefined function ‘expand_udim’.
well, i do not using udim and i know is a new function. what can i do to avoid this ?

How to fix this and get my job complete on Amazon EC2 renderfarm ?
818 posts
The texture vop is updated in 14.0.341 to use the new udim function, which is used by used by the clay material: clay/surfaceColor/texture1. We haven't updated the Amazon Cloud to the newer Houdini build, so maybe that's why your scene fails to render there. The easiest workaround is probably to save the hip file using 14.0.340 or older. That should avoid the problem.

If you don't have access to that older build, you could also override the default Vop/texture node to use the old one. I've attached an HDA that contains the older Vop/texture that doesn't use the expand_udim() function. To use the asset in your scene, use the Assets -> Install Asset Library and select the asset. After loading the asset library, the scene should switch to that definition. You can verify that by middle-clicking the clay/surfaceColor/texture1 node. You should see the “Defined by” line pointing to the newly installed HDA file. If you do this, the Amazon submission process should also bundle this HDA file with it.

Hope this helps!
Edited by - Sept. 24, 2015 13:16:39

Attachments:
old_texture_defined.jpg (16.3 KB)
old_texture.hda (4.2 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
thanks again, i check that very soon
22 posts
I have installed the digital asset.
when i midlle clic on the surce color, i get : Embedded?vop/surfacecolor

that s correct ?
818 posts
Dive inside the surfaceColor node, and find the “textuer1” node, and middle click on that. You should see something like the attached screenshot.

Attachments:
old_texture_middle_click.jpg (39.5 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
i get the same error.
Thats because i was lookink the surface color node instead. When i dive inside and i midlle clic on the texture digital asset and i get the right path

but when i launch the job, i get the same udim error

Attachments:
capture.jpg (21.6 KB)

818 posts
Hm, I wonder if you need to force Houdini to use your definition of the node. You can do this by Assets -> Manage Asset Libraries. Right click on your version of Vop/texture, and select “Use This Definition”. You should see the label turned green.

Did you see the HDA file being included in the submission process?

Attachments:
old_texture_use_definition.jpg (30.1 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
well…
Now i get this error

24/9/2015 18:40:36 Failed: The attempted operation failed.
Error: /shop/1_2/surfaceColor/texture1: Call to undefined function ‘texprintf’. Did you mean ‘printf’? (12,37:45)

How to get the right version of Houdini to render in the cloud ???

Attachments:
capture preflight.jpg (52.8 KB)

818 posts
Looks like the texture asset that I attached wasn't old enough. Ok, I mentioned this to our Amazon guy. He'll try to update the build on Amazon in the next day or so.

If you still feel adventurous, I've also re-uploaded an older texture to the post above.

Also, I wonder if this is happening because you have the surfaceColor node embedded into your scene. It's typically not embedded into the scene. Do you remember why it became embedded? If it doesn't need to embedded, you should delete it from the “Manage Asset Library” dialog too.
Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
What do you mean ? when i get “Embedded?vop/surfacecolor” this not as is suppose to be ?
818 posts
Yeah, I don't think that's normal. It usually comes from the OPlibVop.hda, which is from the Houdini installation directory. Maybe some operation that you did caused Houdini to embed this asset into the scene file. You should be able to revert to the default Houdni one by simply deleting the asset under the “Embedded” tree in that asset library dialog.

Attachments:
surfaceColor.jpg (42.8 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
ok i try to unembed the asset and launch it in the cloud….
818 posts
If you have other assets embedded, you might want to unembed them too.
Andrew / アンドリュー
22 posts
yes, i remove everything
thx for your help
22 posts
Which definition of texture i try ? the first one ? or the second ?
I can't download the last old_texture.hda, the file is empty 0ko
22 posts
i unembed everything every thing and I use the first hda you send me.
i get tan error
Call to undefined function ‘texprintf’

maybe with the second definition? coul you re-upload it ?
22 posts
ok 4,3 ko i can download it
22 posts
I get something on the render…
WHOUAAAA! it was so hard… last time in april, i just send my job and hop! done
thanks for you help awong. thanks so much
818 posts
Phew! That's great!

I guess the core problem was having some of the nodes embedded for some reasons.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links