Having trouble with getting my scatter to stick.

4673   7   2
19 posts
I can't seem to get my scatter to stick to deforming geo. I have tried a few different things. I get it this is a very beginner problem. But I am at a loss. I have tried to do a time shift on the first frame of the geo… then doing a measure by area. and then using the area attrib on the scatter but that didn't work. I tried the attrib interpolate and that didn't work. here is the file if anyone wants to take a look. thanks for your time

Attachments:
creep_Test_Debug.hip (1.5 MB)

76 posts
I don't see any scatter nodes in the file, and no geometry files are included…
19 posts
thanks so much for responding although I didn't give you anything to help me sorry about that. I'm pretty new at this. I was trying a bunch of different things and one of them was the use a remesh to get the points instead of a scatter. I am having a really hard time even explaining what my problem is. here is a file that is I hope is a better help. i'm trying to do at pcopen on deforming geo but the noise seems to be swimming and not adding to the group. I ziped the file with 10 frames of the geo. please let me know what you see if you get a chance.

Attachments:
swimmingNoise.rar (2.6 MB)

87 posts
Take a look at Attribute Interpolate sop:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/nodes/sop/attribinterpolate [sidefx.com]

The helpcard for the Scatter sop has an example file showing how to use it.
/ken_jones/$: _
1743 posts
I'm thinking more and more that there should probably be a built-in “Scatter on Deforming” SOP.

It would just contain a Scatter SOP with “Prim Num Attribute” and “Prim UVW Attribute” enabled (on the “Output Attributes” tab), which scatters on the rest geometry, and goes into the first input of an Attribute Interpolate SOP with the deforming geometry in its second input. It's only 2 nodes, but it seems to have come up a lot lately that people find it confusing to use 2 nodes.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
19 posts
Great idea on getting a scatter on deforming geo sop! but ya know I did that attrib interp and that totally worked! and I was very happy…but the issue still existed so i'm thinking it might be something else. they points and pt number seem to stick. the aa noise is still swimming. Could it be that there needs to be uv atrib imported into the vop with the aanoise and the pcopen? how do I do this? would import the atrib that is set by the scatter into the VOP with the aanoise and the pcopen? I hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions!
1743 posts
Sorry, I'm not following what's going on in your file, since I'm not too familiar with most people's setup.

Wild guess, though, is that the noise needs to be computed using the rest positions (from the Scatter SOP) instead of the deformed positions (from the Attribute Interpolate SOP).
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
19 posts
yes I think thats it (i'm not sitting with houdini at the moment) but in the rest position it sim works great. but as soon as it deforms the noise starts swimming it looks like the noise it in world space instead of local to the geo. the scatter sop out puts a posuv atrib should I bring that into the aanoise or is there a way to just do the sim on the mesh in the bind pose and then transfer the data through maybe the cloth capture and deform?
  • Quick Links