CPU Swap Crashes Houdini 15

2397   4   0
2539 posts
Hi All,

Upgraded my AMD Phenom X6 to a FX8370 today, on an Asrock 970M Pro3 motherboard. This processor is supported by the motherboard and the Windows desktop comes up fine. I am not overclocking anything, just default CPU out of the box.

However, whenever I try to Add a Skylight to an empty default scene Houdini 15.277 crashes. Also if I add a sphere to the scene and add no lights then render with mantra, mantra crashes. This is the same exact hardware only the CPU has been swapped.

All other software, I use, seems to work fine. For instance I can render in Blender without crashes and play games without crashing and use After Effects without crashing.

It seems odd to me that Houdini would be so sensitive to a CPU swap so I thought I would just throw this out to the community and see if anyone has any tips or similar experiences?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
Bad CPU, maybe?

Try seeing what the CPU temperature is with a monitoring app, sometimes the thermal paste doesn't quite spread properly when the heat sink is remounted and it overheats, causing a lot of issues. Sounds like it's crashing when multiple threads are used.
2539 posts
I am using CPUID and HWMonitor to inspect my hardware. It runs as cool as the last CPU @78F idle and 142F under full 8 core load.

Blender is clearly using all 8 threads when rendering without a problem also Handbrake can encode video using all 8 threads so I am not ready to say the CPU is bad yet. It was purchased new and sealed. I have built many computers over the years so I feel like I did the install correctly with the thermal paste and fan.

Maybe the CPU needs to burn in or something funky like that..?

I managed to get some console feedback. What is odd is I see mention of VRAY in the text. I don't even have VRAY and Apprentice would not run it anyway.

This message appears in the console after I see all 8 buckets appear in the viewport.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (180.9 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
VRAY is the name of a Houdini library (VEX ray), not anything to do with the V-Ray renderer.
2539 posts
Ah,

I did have a copy of H14.470 installed and tried that as well. Mantra does not crash, however, it does not render either. The console has a more tidy message with the TRACEBACK BEGIN/END.

Here is what is in the crash log.

Crash report from Admin; Houdini FX Version 15.0.277
Uptime 60 seconds
Thu Nov 05 14:34:11 2015
Caught signal 4

Traceback from 4900 ThreadId=0x00000758
+0x0fd30037

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (158.8 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.