Houdini as primary production tool?

2421   3   1
1 posts
I've been aware of Houdini as the leader in FX for a while now, but am wondering about its potential as the primary tool for a full CG film.

Looking to produce an innovative, rather ambitious short film in the coming months, now currently researching production strategies. Coming from a Maya background and wondering what other options are out there. I've heard other artists really like the procedural workflow of Houdini.

Biggest priority for this project is to be able to retarget large amounts of kinect mocap data and clean it up. Animation layers for tweaking is also very important. Motionbuilder does this nicely, but this is a personal project, so I'd really love to stick with one package if possible.

Definitely planning on giving it a trial run, but I'm curious if anyone had end-to-end experience with a mocap pipeline using H14-15?

Thanks!
2540 posts
Guillaume Fradin has an extensive video series covering the leveraging of mocap data in Houdini.
https://vimeo.com/53088185 [vimeo.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
143 posts
bump
1192 posts
C3rulean
I've been aware of Houdini as the leader in FX for a while now, but am wondering about its potential as the primary tool for a full CG film.
Yes, we're finising an animated short right now and we'll start another soon.
C3rulean
Definitely planning on giving it a trial run, but I'm curious if anyone had end-to-end experience with a mocap pipeline using H14-15?
CHOPs can give you a lot of stuff when it comes to mocap, but there's a learning curve.
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
  • Quick Links