how to rotate camera around mouse cursor

7990   7   0
1 posts
guys, newbie question.
how to rotate camera around mouse cursor(like by default in cinema 4d)? (by default in houdini: alt + mouse (space + mouse) = camera will rotate around center of view).

thanks
24 posts
Hold Z button on viewport to set viewport pivot on your cursor location.
Philomath
1755 posts
An option to orbit around a selection (similar to how Zbrush will focus the area you last brushed on) would be crazy useful. When zoomed in to work on something, if you don't focus manually which obviously involves pressing some keys, a quick orbit around and you lost your screen.

@Mostafa how does holding ‘Z’ work? Can't seem to get anything. You sure it's holding? Don't think Houdini has any transient keys other than space/alt.

Attachments:
cam_orbit.gif (1.5 MB)

Staff
5161 posts
Space + Z (set pivot & center) or Space + Shift + Z (set pivot only). Also works with Alt.
24 posts
@McNistor
I really don't use Z key but when I accidentally press the button Houdini says its to change the pivot of viewport.
I don't remember maybe it's just for H15.
Philomath
1755 posts
twod
Space + Z (set pivot & center) or Space + Shift + Z (set pivot only). Also works with Alt.

Ah… right. But it doesn't make the focused point that fixed like in the gif I've posted. Sometimes is really loose and sometimes is almost perfectly still. Not sure what's based on.

Any change of getting that (toggle-able in the prefs of course) for a on-the-fly focus?
Staff
5161 posts
No, it's a discrete operation - Space+Z, then rotate. It should be possible to do what you suggest, though, just an implicit focus at the start of a rotate.
1755 posts
That would be great, decrease the amount of operations when modeling by a big amount. If I didn't have this in Soft, one out of three operations would probably be manual focusing. Pretty much the same when sculpting in Zb.
  • Quick Links