Helicopter dust method

5185   5   2
51 posts
Hi forum
I'm trying to achieve a helicopter dust raise and this is what I reached for curly dust layer more or less and I want to add another layer of dust simulation for horizontal movement after that.

https://vimeo.com/147492383 [vimeo.com]

I used an arena shaped geometry to create velocity volume and advect some particle with this velocity field. and at last I simulate this volume from particles that has this arena shape already without extra advection, just some turbulence and disturbance. But as you see this so smooth in the base and has more noise at the ends and this is annoying.
So after reading some related threads in forum, I start to think if I'm wrong. maybe I should advect particles with volume instead. actually I want to know best approaches for creating similar effect.

Thanks in advance
2 x Xeon E5-2670 - 64 GB DDR3 RAM - Nvidia GTX 960 - Win 10 64x
337 posts
Helicopter dust to me is a lot more swirly, less circular and uniform. You might try using a vortex force with a pop sim to get quick feedback, then create a vel field with those particles to add to your pyro smoke sim.

I've been using pop vel fields more lately in conjunction with fluid sims it's a powerful way to add more control, thanks to this forum which showed me how to go about it
337 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=42210 [sidefx.com]

how to make a pop vel field, this gentleman was kind enough to post an example file
51 posts
Thanks moogtastic,
You are right, I had some tests for velocity field before as you said it's the key to a descent fluid sim. my mistake was emitting smoke from those particles instead of updating smoke velocity.
Now the main challenge is creating a nice behavior for particles with forces. I prefer using some sop geometry to guide pops too.
have any suggestion on that?
Thanks again
337 posts
You might try something like the file I'm posted for the pop vel field. I'm using a an axis force for the swirl and a pop force for added turbulence. Play with the axis suction and lift speed to get more vertical movement.

Attachments:
popAxisForce.hip (257.7 KB)

51 posts
Thank you man, this is nice for spreading particles and I will do this for the middle of dust and on the edges I'll add a curl shape vel field created with sop and some wind force.
  • Quick Links