Smoke looks buggy in viewport

2677   6   0
117 posts
Hiya
When I do a smoke render and I add a light in the viewport often the results looks very buggy (like in the attached image).

Also another thing I dont quite understand is I would normally have both the pyro_sim and the pyro_import displayed in the viewport at the same time. To avoid this I turn off the pyro_import but then it doesn't render so I need to toggle it back and forward. Any easy way to avoid this? I'm trying to set it to “render, but not display” but doesn't do what I want.

I have a Geforce 980GTX as display card.
Thanks!
/Andreas

Attachments:
smoke_error.jpg (45.9 KB)

2539 posts
I can confirm the same viewport bug on my GTX660. I have tried a couple of daily builds but no luck, the bug persists.

I wonder what hardware the developers use that they don't see these kinds of issues?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
The ‘ringing’ can happen when the light intensity is dialed up (exposure > 10) and HDR rendering is not enabled. Try enabling “HDR Rendering” in the Display Options, Effects tab.

Also in 15.0.312 a fix was made that should address some shading issues with directional and sun lights. Those that submitted a bug about this issue should have been automatically notified of this fix.
2539 posts
Thank you!

Enabling HDR Rendering fixed the issue for me.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
117 posts
Hiya, that helps, but it doesn't fix the problem completely.
If I select a light the whole smoke becomes white. Its fixed when I rotate the viewport again it sometimes fixes it. Sometimes the smoke just becomes black, or some frames are black.
So is this fixed in the latest versions?

Also the smoke is really slow in the viewport compared to Fume FX for example. There seem to be no way to frame step smoothly even with fairly low res sims. Is there any way to speed it up?

Thanks
/Andreas
117 posts
Is someone looking at this. I have the latest version but I cant almost not even see smoke in the viewport. It just keeps blinking. turning black white. This happens on all our machines and we use smoke all the time.

/Andreas
143 posts
Hello,

In the “Objects” tab of the mantra node, you can fill out the “Force Objects” box to render objects that have display flag off.

Hope this helps.

~Caesar
  • Quick Links