Baked Texture Seams

3679   5   3
517 posts
Hi there,

Anyone know how to get rid of these seams -

These options seem to have no effect.

I noticed there were a couple of example files http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/examples/nodes/out/baketexture/BakeSimple [sidefx.com]
But I can't load them, and they dont appear to be in the local help files.

Any ideas??

I know I've asked quite a few questions here lately but I'm kinda on my own so any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pete
110 posts
Hi Pete,

Out of curiosity, are you rendering directly to MPlay or to disk? The border expansion only works when rendering to disk, which is possibly why you're seeing the seams. Let me know if this resolves the issue for you. Thanks.

~M
110 posts
Hi Pete,

I should also mention that if you update to the latest build of H15.0 you will pick up the latest example files (not sure which build you are running).

~M
517 posts
Hey thanks, looks like the latest works with the example files, and it looks nicer!

Well I still had the same seam issue on the example file but I think I've gotten to the bottom of it. Seems like it only likes baking to rat files. So, now I guess I have to find a way to convert that file to a png. Any ideas how I could do that without adding to much of an extra step? Maybe a post render script or something?

RAT

PNG
110 posts
Hi Pete,

Yes, if you are using border expansion there must be an alpha channel in the image, otherwise it is not possible to reliably determine where the UV islands are. You should render to .rat or .exr if possible, post-converting to whatever format you require.

To post-process baked textures you can use Mantra's filter callbacks. I've attached a script that shows how to convert a texture rendered as .rat to .png. Note that you can do all sorts of post-processing on the generated images as well as geometry (eg. prepare as assets for your games engine).

To use the filter, you can either add the script to the command line:

mantra -P filter.py test.ifd

…or set this via the Bake Texture ROP (see attached).

Please let me know if this answers your questions. Thanks.

~M

Attachments:
filter-rop.jpg (17.2 KB)
filter.zip (393 bytes)

517 posts
Hey thanks for that! All working now.
  • Quick Links