Two-button mouse in Windows

5008   4   2
7 posts
Ok, I admit it, I'm a Linux guy. I can get around this issue fairly easily on Linux. However, my ten-year old daughter has seen me noodling Houdini (specifically the rabbit otl), as played with it on the Linux box, and wants it on the family Windows machine for her to play with.

So, how do you map a middle mouse click with a two-button mouse in Windows (other than buy a new mouse)?

Mark
Staff
2593 posts
bolstad
Ok, I admit it, I'm a Linux guy. I can get around this issue fairly easily on Linux. However, my ten-year old daughter has seen me noodling Houdini (specifically the rabbit otl), as played with it on the Linux box, and wants it on the family Windows machine for her to play with.

So, how do you map a middle mouse click with a two-button mouse in Windows (other than buy a new mouse)?

Mark

I solved it for my kids by giving them a Linux partition :-) I don't know which is more expensive – a copy of linux or a 3 button mouse :-)
7025 posts
I think there is a way to get rmb+lmb together to equal MMB, however it's a really b**** to use it like that, I bought my daughter a cheapo 10 dollar mouse which she hasn't yet destroyed… not that she uses Houdini )
4140 posts
I agree, in fact I might go a step farther and say that if you've got a computer-using kidlet, it helps to have them use more standardized things earlier on, which is dead-cheap as Pete says, rather than remapping that MMB to the “workaround” two-button click(which I've had trouble finding for windows, actually - usually a Linux thing). I'm not suggesting it's unhealthy or anytning , just that the remap is rather a blast from the past and was always intended as a workaround.

Unless you're a Mac user, of course, in which case you only understand two buttons - the mouse button and the power button.

<ducks from incoming Mac shrapnel>

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7 posts
Thanks all.

Strange as it is, I went to Home Depot right after I posted to get some moulding for a project, and lo and behold, a 6 buck three button optical mouse!

Considering the ‘puter is an ancient 800 Mhz P3 (but, hey, it’s a dual!), 6 bucks seems appropriate.

I agree with JC to teach standard things early, which is why I showed my daughter at 5 how to make Windows “go boom”. She regularly flips back and forth between Linux and Windows, which just severly confuses my son. Hence the windows install.

Mark
  • Quick Links