Is it common for Digital Assets to use Digital Assets?

1640   2   2
2042 posts
Hello,

As my title post asks I was wondering if anyone might be able to comment on this.

Not to long ago I tried this and there was some issues with a warning message I believe had to do with the fact that the “embedded” asset is referring to the external file that was created when that asset was created.

The reason I am returning to this idea is because of some problems I am experiencing in creating the digital asset I want at the moment.

Explaining that problem would be a question for another post but suffice to say the reason behind my problem has a lot to do with the fact that the digital asset I want to create has alot of parameters.

In the phase of creating a digital asset where you drag and drop the parameters that you want to use I've noticed two things. That exressions in the parameters are carried over but the call back scripts are not. So I have to go into the newly dragged parameters and enter them again. Also, even though I've used relative channel references in my parameters expressions, those references are no longer valid after I've dragged the parameter and I have to go into the newly dragged parameter and change the expression. So it's like I have to create the parameters twice. And since I already have many parameters it's quite a bit of work, timewise.

This is not a probleme in itself ( if it takes me alot of time, so be it ). But what I find also, is that because I'm doing alot of transferring and altering it seems it opens up the possibility that I do some kind of misclick or misentry that kind of “bugs” the file, of which there is no return after doing 3 days of work transferring the parameters. It has happened to me twice that I have had to start over from scratch, of which is the point I am at right now.

Again, I not asking to resolve what that problem is but at the moment decided to try an alternate of using a digital asset within a digital asset and just wanted to know if it's common.

If so I was going to try working in that direction and if I have any problems with that it am thinking it might be easier to reconcile ( not so much work if I have to start over )

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks
1743 posts
It is extremely common for digital assets to use digital assets.

For example, the Voronoi Fracture SOP is a digital asset, so if you put it down, you can double-click it, and inside, among many other things, there are several Attribute Wrangle SOPs. Attribute Wrangle is also a digital asset, basically just wrapping an Attribute Vop SOP containing a Snippet VOP. If I looked a bit harder, I'm sure I could find a built-in digital asset that uses a digital asset that uses a 3rd digital asset, (for example, any digital asset containing a Color SOP, since it contains Attribute Wrangle too).

Of course, you need to make sure that the outer asset can actually find the inner assets, so either the outer asset needs to know where to find the inner assets in your filesystem, or they need to be explicitly embedded in the outer asset.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
2042 posts
Hello ndickson,

Ok..great..thanks for that input.

Going to pursue this avenue then.
  • Quick Links