custom environment variable

5758   6   3
176 posts
Is it possible to specify custom environment variable in a way that it would be used to simplify path like variables such as $JOB, $HOME, etc do?
for example i want to define a $SOMEPRJ variable, that would point to some project structure i define an different hosts..

on linux i see that it maintains $SOMEPRJ variable as it is in file open menu, for example, but on windows it changes text to variable value when i pressing enter… so instead of $SOMEPRJ i got //server2/project/test_a on windows

also i want this custom variable to appear in Jump menu… is it possible?
Staff
2540 posts
Is it possible to specify custom environment variable in a way that it would be used to simplify path like variables such as $JOB, $HOME, etc do?
for example i want to define a $SOMEPRJ variable, that would point to some project structure i define an different hosts..
This is up to you to define your environment. Houdini inherits all shell (linux) or system (windows) environment variables for you to use directly.

on linux i see that it maintains $SOMEPRJ variable as it is in file open menu, for example, but on windows it changes text to variable value when i pressing enter… so instead of $SOMEPRJ i got //server2/project/test_a on windows
Windows behaviour.

also i want this custom variable to appear in Jump menu… is it possible?
In any houdini directory in the $HOUDINI_PATH ($HFS/houdini, $HOME/houdini<major_version>.<minor_version>, etc…), create a file called jump.pref and just put the path that you want to show up in the jump menu.
There's at least one school like the old school!
176 posts
jeff
Windows behaviour.
isn't it a bug in houdini?
Staff
2540 posts
Nope.

If your environment variables ($JOB, $HIP, $HSITE, etc) use UNC paths, when you jump to them in the file browser the UNC paths will be preserved. If you type a UNC path into the file browser, that UNC path will be preserved. If you browse using drive letters (jump to drive X then no, there is no way for us to preserve the mapping and the result is expanded.

Use unc paths.
There's at least one school like the old school!
176 posts
But I am using unc and it expands anyway!
Can this be related to slashes orientation in Env. variable? \\server2\projects
or //server2/projects ?
2199 posts
I think it must be slash direction - we use unix style even though we are on windows and it doesn't then expand the path, regardless of whether we use unc or mapped drive letters.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
12 posts
In any houdini directory in the $HOUDINI_PATH ($HFS/houdini, $HOME/houdini<major_version>.<minor_version>, etc…), create a file called jump.pref and just put the path that you want to show up in the jump menu.

just what i needed! thanks oldschool
  • Quick Links