Trying to delete particles gradually based on color/time

8137   5   1
32 posts
I am trying to delete particles gradually based on time when particles turned black. I have this setting back in H13 but it somehow doesn't work anymore. I have a feeling that the way I import/export life attribute inside vop is wrong…. But I don't know how to fix it. I attached a scene, please take a look for me.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
question_particle_deathtime.hiplc (321.7 KB)

57 posts
I tried using a cheap method of group and delete the points when the particles turn black. Not sure if this is what you want. I'm not that great with VEX

Attachments:
question_particle_deathtime_Test.hiplc (338.8 KB)

Just a student learning Houdini
32 posts
Thank you, OutCast! Yes, your solution helps me to achieve exactly what I wanted! Plus I can even save some nodes, really cool!

Now, I am wondering why the old setting is not working… Do you happen to know if Bind Export is the way to output data to local attribute $LIFE? I am using AttributeVop in H14.
57 posts
As for that, I'm not entirely sure about it. You could try using the Delete by Expression ($LIFE>0). Or check the Geometry Spreadsheet to see the attribute values to know whether if it's possible to delete $LIFE.
Just a student learning Houdini
2624 posts
Hi, I am also getting to grips with the new POPs system being able to delete based in sim is pretty handy ! . Here is a wrange example that deletes based on @age which is a growing attribute. Maybe we could all jam up some examples to learn from

wrangle pop
if(@age >= 2)removepoint(0, @ptnum);

Rob

Attachments:
rse_pops_delete_based_on_age.hip (258.4 KB)

Gone fishing
32 posts
Thanks, Rob! This way, points can be killed even before coming out of POP so I don't need to worry about exporting attribute data out to kill points!
  • Quick Links