Parenting how to?

8395   2   0
436 posts
Simple question. How do I parent objects in OBJECTS so that children inherit transforms of parents. This is case where the actual behavior of Houdini is not consistent with documentation.
The PDF docs state the following

'If you connect the output of one object to the input of another, you create a parent-ing structure where the objects become linked in a hierarchical relationship. Parent-ing
defines the relationship between objects that you want to treat as a linked group. An object which is parented to another object inherits the transformations of the par-ent object. This means that moving the parent moves the child as well. Each object can have only one parent. In addition, other information is inherited from parent objects. For example, motion blur can be inherited from a parent object. If the ren-dering
parameters are not enabled for an object, they will be inherited from the par-ent object.'

Simply this does not work for me. Lets say I have a Null and Geo1 sphere in OBJECTS. I connect output of Geo1 to input of Null. If I animate or drag the Null the sphere stays put. Same for everything else. Also of I have multiple objects how do I parent them to a single object. Subnetwork only has four connections.

Dave Rindner
639 posts
You are working in the Network editor, right?

From what you described, you're draging the child instead of the parent.

If you connect the output of the Geo1 to the input of Null, the Geo1 is the parent, and the Null is the child.

So if you connect the output of Null to the input of Geo1, the Null will be the parent and the Geo1 is the child and Geo1 will inherit all Null's transformation behavior unless you tell the Geo1 not to.

Simply put it, the upper node of your chain is the parent, anything that comes after is the child.
436 posts
Hey THX a lot! I feel pretty frigging stupid. I was interpreting the docs in an opposite way. In my defence though, I am used to in MAX, MAYA , everywhere, that a child is connected to the parent. Here a parent is connected to the child.
  • Quick Links