vop displace worldspace values?!

2075   2   1
53 posts
Hey there guys n gals.

I have a weird case where I am using a for each subnetwork set to primitive and I want to apply operations to each polygon.

Every polygon has a different orientation, but they all have proper primitive, point/vertex normals. So for example, I take 2 points.. make the normals point on an axis just off of X ( as in it is facing more or less in that direction but it is rotated slightly toward Z. I build 2 point edges with them, and then I want to poly extrude along point normal.

This however does not work on 2 point edges, which is unfortunate. Next up I try to use the transform extruded front. This allows me to extrude, but it does not do it along the point normals. So Instead I tried to use the peak function but it displaces by a different numerical values from the transform/extrude values. The peak seems to be normalized to 01, versus the transform/extrude nodes are not.

I went into point vop because I feel like what I want to do should be possible, but as soon as it comes to doing things like matricies and working with them in houdini, I am a bit lost. so I tried a few simpler things that I know how to do, and tried out displace along normal but again it is just like the peak node. I also tried adding values to the point vector positions on a single axis but it does not respect normal direction.

What I need to do is to transform points along normal by the same value numbers that the extrude and transform nodes use because for some parts of the file I am using plain transforms, and extrudes and I need to keep consistency. For some reason this is harder than I thought it would be.
-m-k-
8555 posts
file would help
as Peak (and VOPs) both use houdini units directly if your N is normalized
is your N normalized?
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
53 posts
normalize was it thanks man.
-m-k-
  • Quick Links