Houdini 15.5

2675   3   0
3 posts

Hello I am coming from Cinema 4D and maya and I had a question about hair . First is there anyway to curl the hair like what is possible with the N-hair in maya and the Curl tool in Cinema 4D . And having trouble finding a guide on importing external guide curves into Houdini .
236 posts
Hi, I can't answer you question in particular (someone else probably can) but I did find this great video regarding hair made by Andrew Brown.

https://vimeo.com/88711732 [vimeo.com]

I found the Blender technique works well for guide hairs. (around 41min into video) I'm not sure whether or not you can apply the same theory to C4D.

hope that helps
Rob
3 posts
robsdesign
Hi, I can't answer you question in particular (someone else probably can) but I did find this great video regarding hair made by Andrew Brown.

https://vimeo.com/88711732 [vimeo.com]

I found the Blender technique works well for guide hairs. (around 41min into video) I'm not sure whether or not you can apply the same theory to C4D.

hope that helps
Rob
Ah thank you ah I had the video but Now I can import the custom curves into Houdini from Cinema 3D the problem is I am not sure how to plugin them into the hair systems the video didn't really go step by step beyond ( I need to re-sample them ) so I am not sure what node they go into , I am new to Houdini though . I imported them via an alembic file so it works , the trouble I am having is how do I get them inside of the Houdini hair systems. where do I plug them in .
236 posts
On the video, at 56m 30s, you can see that he has referenced the imported hair on the geometry tab of the Houdini hair system. (Hairs > Guides > Geometry) He uses a null, explained a couple of minutes before. So where his reads: obj/customHair/BEARD_OUT, change that to where you imported your curves. (guide hairs)

hope that helps
Rob
  • Quick Links