Render Layer not Appearing in Beauty

2168   7   1
271 posts
Hi all,
I am yet again having issues with the subsurface scattering (in the mantrasurface shader).
In the scene I have attached I can render a frame, but the sss component just doesn't appear in the final image. If you render the frame you shall see that it is blank as there is no diffuse or reflection, bnut there should be something as sss is active.
Now, from the view bar select the render image plane drop down menu and select ‘sss_single’ you can see the rendered sss result. It's just not being added to the final render.

What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments:
membrane_trimmed.hipnc (1.8 MB)
sss_why_01.png (71.3 KB)
sss_why_02.png (127.2 KB)

648 posts
it looks like the light was busted, try changing its intensity and/or attenuation…

Attachments:
sss_exports.hipnc (1.9 MB)

271 posts
cpb
it looks like the light was busted, try changing its intensity and/or attenuation…

I tried changing both, but it had no effect. I then replaced the light, with the same result.
I get the same result when opening your sss_exports.hipnc scene - in fact all the outputs are not blank.
I also get the error (that I've attached an image of) when loading the scene.

Is this one for SESI you think?

Attachments:
err.png (13.8 KB)

648 posts
hmm yeah send it.
see attached for what I'm seeing with the test (15.5.518 win10 x64)

Attachments:
sss_exports.jpg (197.3 KB)

648 posts
also: using the pre-built shaders can be problematic as you don't know exactly what's going on in there (and editing is a nightmare).
271 posts
cpb
also: using the pre-built shaders can be problematic as you don't know exactly what's going on in there (and editing is a nightmare).

This is what I'm finding. And tutorials on how to build your own shaders from the ground up are very sparse. If you know of any, please do let me know.

I've tried both my scene and yours on two different machines, with the same incorrect result. I'll send this to SESI.
271 posts
Ok…some good news, I was just about to submit a bug and I saw that I was running 15.5.480, so I updated to 15.5.523 and it all seems to be working now. Nice

But my statement about shader building tutorials still stands.
258 posts
Try deleting everything but the subsurface nodes in a shader, and dissect from there. There will be quite a bit of switches, two-ways, et all. Try tracing the lines back to see how they function. This is the best way to really learn how to control your shaders in Houdini. Most often I work with stripped down shaders, lately the principled shader, which gives great results, and is fairly straightforward.

Often times, one does not need all the bells and whistles, with every choice under the hood for every shader. I would start simple first, and follow connections. It is the greatest shader editing environment that I have ever worked in, with so much to learn that you will never be bored. I learn something new everyday.
  • Quick Links