Houdini Apprentice won't start

9585   5   0
23 posts
Max OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan

Installed Houdini Apprentice but it says “No valid licenses where found”. And I see the Server “is not running”.

Tried the Sudo command:
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.sidefx.sesinetd.plist

However it just returns this line

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.sidefx.sesinetd.plist: Service is disabled
MacBook-Pro:~

I suspect that Houdini is not yet available for this version of OS X but maybe you fine folks know better. :idea:

Thanks!
2537 posts
When you install Apprentice, don't install the license server, choose the other option (which is for free usage).

Also, on OSX, the very first time you run Houdini your OSX user account must have administrator privileges or the license files can not be written to the user name correctly.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
23 posts
Enivob
When you install Apprentice, don't install the license server, choose the other option (which is for free usage).

Also, on OSX, the very first time you run Houdini your OSX user account must have administrator privileges or the license files can not be written to the user name correctly.

Thanks Enivob!

Well I uninstalled Houdini and reinstalled. The installer isn't very clear on what I should do to get Apprentice working. I deselected the license server.

Still having the same issue… I am indeed the administrator on this computer. Not sure what to make of this.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2015-12-13 16.45.45.png (209.2 KB)

2537 posts
Choose Local Licensing for Apprentice which will turn off the other licensing option.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
23 posts
That worked! Thank you!

If I end up buying Houdini Indie will the fact that the regular license server refuses to start be an issue?

Thanks again.
8 posts
Enivob

This is incredibly helpful! We didn't know about the admin-privileges requirement when the License Administrator is installing a license. If you don't have that privilege, it gives a completely un-helpful error report , like this:

Once installed, the license is usable from any account on that machine.

We're trying to teach a class involving Houdini, and some of the students had mysterious problems. This looks to be at least one of the causes. Enivob, you are a lifesaver.
  • Quick Links