Cloth falling through Deforming Collider?

3412   3   0
9 posts
Hi,
I am pretty new to Houdini and facing a weird issue, which is propably easy to solve.
I have imported an alembic file of a rigged character out of Maya (in Houdini it is split into two abc files within one alembicarchive). Since Maya works with centimetres I assigned a transform node to both alembics in Geometry level to make them alot smaller. The cloth objects are just obj files which I scaled down as well.
Then I made the cloth geos into cloth objects and the alembicarchive into a deforming collider, both via the cloth shelf. My problem is that the cloth objects fall just straight through the body, but they work just fine with the goundplane.

(The alembic starts at frame 1, in earlier versions it started at -10 which houdini offset. I first thought this could cause issues.)i

Attachments:
houdini_problem.PNG (916.0 KB)

702 posts
you may need to add an unpack or convert sop after before you pass it into the collision, cloth wont work with packed alembics
9 posts
Thanks, that was propably it. I now use just one alembic SOP instead of importing a alembic scene.
Is it normal that the cloth gets solved that slow. Coming from Mayas ncloth it is quiet shocking how slow houdini is. Especially since it is houdini, the way to go for simulations. So far its just the default solver settings… and it is relly not usable with that speed. In the cloth masterclass which used the old solver it looked way faster!

Edit: I scaled the alembic as well as the cloth object up again. The bigger I go the faster. Obviously it is then way to big, since Maya measures in centimeters and houdini in meters. Thats making the cloth behave undesireably.
I will check if it works better when importing the meshes/ABCs in small scale instead of using transforms inside of houdini.

I am running it on a 16 GB RAM PC with relatively new Intel Xeon and NVidia Quadro.
Edited by leabum - Aug. 4, 2016 14:26:44
9 posts
Okay, importing the meshes smaller initially helps alot, but still it feels slower than Mayas old ncloth. How is that possible? I mean: IT'S HOUDINI <3
There must be a way to speed up the cloth solving or not? Any tips? I would be very greatful.
  • Quick Links