how do you position a point relative to another point?

7675   4   0
2 posts
Hi,

I just can't get my head around this. I am sure the answer is simple but I'm struggling with the syntax.
I want to be able to create three points at origin then position each point by taking the position of the previous point then adding an arbitrary value to it so I was thinking something like this

point(“../add1” ,($PT-1), P, 0)+.1

In the x position would work but it doesn't seem to. All points seem to shift the same amount. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Attachments:
positionPoints.hiplc (53.0 KB)

109 posts
Like this?

Attachments:
positionPoints-kila.hiplc (62.5 KB)

143 posts
You could just use the Add SOP to create the point, then just use the Copy sop and create two copies and set to transform cumulative and change the translate
2 posts
Yes I had thought about the for loop but was hoping there was another way to directly access each point as you operate on it, rather than in the position state as it is input. maybe with vops or something the copy node doesn't quite do what I want. Say for example you want to add the previous point and the one before that to get something like the Fibonacci sequence. So $PT = $PT-1 + $PT-2 I will look further into for loops in vops. Thanks!
2042 posts
You may want to look into using point wranglers and vex.

I'm currently doing somewhat similar except just not applying Fibonacci.

But with an ojbect merge I am bringing in the points from a moving curve that changes shape.

Basicaly I am making “duplicate” initial points - I wanted the initial points to always be at the same location as to where they lie on the the shifting curve.

But the other new points that I am creating with the point wrangler is being done with VEX.

What I am doing is similar to those tutorials where you see them take one oject and sweep it along a curve.

But with VEX I can create each and every object along that curve to be different with its own individual behaviour and shape.

So I could build Fibonacci sequences off of the inital points going where ever and however using VEX in the point wrangler.
  • Quick Links