Using expressions to create a filename in a ROP

3767   2   1
99 posts
What I want to do is build a descriptive filename based on parameters I have set. For example if the mesh is male or female, what version of pants, or shirt is it using etc.

I have a ROP with a two expressions in it. The 2nd expression `chs(“switch_LEG_Manual/input”)` seems to work fine because it is just concatenating a numeric value (0-5) based on a slider position. I seem to run into issues trying to insert a string.

I am trying to add the prefix HMM, or HMF based on a slider setting and I'm not having luck. First I tried to use an IF statement, but could not replace the true, false values of 0 and 1 with strings. So I made some detail - string attributes with the prefixes, and then a switch node to pitch the appropriate prefix. I then have a detail string attribute “GENDER”, that gets the local variable $ATT based on which way the switch is flipped. I cannot seem to place that detail string attribute in my filename. Also tried a local variable $ATT without success. The local variable seems to not be recognized by the ROP.

I have tried,

$HIP/`chs(“GENDER/string1”)`_LEG_Default.`chs(“switch_LEG_Manual/input”)`.obj - i get nothing.. _LEG_Default.

$HIP/`chsraw(“GENDER/string1”)`_LEG_Default.`chs(“switch_LEG_Manual/input”)`.obj - I get the $ATT , the local variable but not its actual value its storing of (hmm or hmf)

$HIP/`details(“../GENDER”,“GENDER”)`_LEG_Default.`chs(“switch_LEG_Manual/input”)`.obj - i get nothing.. _LEG_Default.

$HIP/`detail(“../GENDER”,“GENDER”,0)`_LEG_Default.`chs(“switch_LEG_Manual/input”)`.obj - i get a 0_LEG_Default.

Any ideas? or a better approach to making dynamic file names in a rop?

Thanks.
Edited by Kfinla - Aug. 21, 2016 09:59:48
2537 posts
I would probably just drop down a Python node and do all my string concatenation in Python. Then assign the final string to the parameter in ROP.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
99 posts
Enivob
I would probably just drop down a Python node and do all my string concatenation in Python. Then assign the final string to the parameter in ROP.

I think that's a good idea. I made a simple scene and got things working immediately. It seems there are gremlins (bad parameter ref's) in the Rop's I have linked to my HDA.
  • Quick Links