Houdini, Open cl, gtx 1080 and the flip solver?

3575   5   2
48 posts
Hi

Just a question re Houdini and open cl on a gtx 1080 when using the flip solver.
So from what I understand if I click the use the open cl check box in the solver the flip solver will use the gpu if it's recognised by Houdini.

If I look in the about Houdini window it's listed there but I don't see any activity pushed toward the gpu and no significant increase in performance.

Is this because I'm using pop forces in dops?
I think Jeff Wagner mentioned something about this in todays flip webinar but it was 4.00am in the morning here so I may have misheard that?

thanks
Nigel.
48 posts
Hi again

Actually if I turn off the pop forces I still don't see any activity on the gpu?

I've got a particle separation of 0.005 and I'm using viscosity so I was hoping I could use the gpu?

thanks
Nigel.
4189 posts
It will use it, the most obvious place it GPU acceleration shows is when you use grains. You should have a nice speed up there. Flip isn't fully OpenCL'd yet but…digging into the HDA it is interesting is that some nodes like Calc_curlmag has an OpenCL checkbox but it isn't toggled on by the ‘flipsolver’ openCL checkbox…
48 posts
Thanks Artye.

So it may be worth digging into the flip solver, hunting for open cl check boxes, setting to on and seeing what happens?

cheers
Nigel.
4521 posts
Artye
It will use it, the most obvious place it GPU acceleration shows is when you use grains. You should have a nice speed up there. Flip isn't fully OpenCL'd yet but…digging into the HDA it is interesting is that some nodes like Calc_curlmag has an OpenCL checkbox but it isn't toggled on by the ‘flipsolver’ openCL checkbox…

nigelgardiner
Thanks Artye.

So it may be worth digging into the flip solver, hunting for open cl check boxes, setting to on and seeing what happens?

cheers
Nigel.

Don't do that. This is by design. There is no point switching to OCL for only a single light weight operation.

According to SESI the Use OpenCL predominantly controls if the pressure projection runs on the GPU or not.
Edited by animatrix_ - Sept. 9, 2016 20:46:14
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
48 posts
ta.
  • Quick Links