Crowds, accumulative bone motion, instead of cycle.

1716   2   0
15 posts
Hey guys,

I am working on a crowd system and I would like to have one of my bones accumulate it's motion instead of cycle it. Picture a crowd of bb8's or unicycles where the bottom (wheel/ball) needs to be continuously rotating. If it cycles the motion blur will jump on the cycle frame.

Has anyone encountered this kind of situation, or have any ideas of how to accomplish this?

Adam
2539 posts
Determine the length of the longest shot in frames. Then make your agent wheel motion that long.

You could do the motion blur in your compositing package. Simply add a material ID to the wheel and kick that out as an AOV. Then in your compositing package use that AOV to add a blur. After Effects has a force motion blur built right in as an effect.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
15 posts
I have found another way,

I've discovered that if I have an expression in my animation, the clip will evaluate the same expression. So if I set my rotations based on $FF then it works.

This has caused another issue to crop up, which is when I blend between clips, making the blend work can be tricky between a key framed clip and an expression based clip.

What would be ideal is if I could come up with an expression where the motion is determined by the agent speed. But I am not sure if it's possible to reference the agent in an expression.

Any thoughts?
  • Quick Links