Behavior of Object Merge and Point Wrangler

1231   0   0
2042 posts
Hello,

I was having some issues with my project and worked on simplifying what may be the cause.

In that process I've noticed a behaviour I've replicated with the attached file.

In this file the point wrangler is generating its own points from ‘scratch’.

In other words although the node itself is wired to the previous nodes it is not explicitly using the input from those nodes.

The thing is that if the paramter of the object merge - “Pack Geometry Before Merging” is not toggled on, the vex code that is generating a poly will not render.

However, if that parameter is toggled on then the vex poly will render.

In this case ( the file attached ) it does not matter if the parameter is toggled on but if one wants to use the points from the object merge as reference for work in creating new points based on those reference points and the paramter is toggled on for “Pack Geometry..” then the vex code will not work because access to those points will be lost;

Because when that paramter is toggled on it turns the object it is referencing into a single primitive with only one point to reference.

So I am wondering if this behaviour of the parameter controlling whether or not the vex coded poly will render is a bug or intrisic to its behaviour.

If its a bug I would like to report it, otherwise is there a setting that would prevent this?

In my project if there isn't a setting and its not a bug I think I will just try to code out a way of referencing the points differently instead of using the vex node input source like @opInput0.

Just wanting to clarify what is happening here first before I make decisions about reworking my code.

So any feedback is appreciated - Thank You.
Edited by BabaJ - Sept. 28, 2016 10:58:08

Attachments:
VEX and Packed Geometry.hiplc (143.2 KB)

• Quick Links