Grabbing a domainu1 point. How?

2308   6   2
24 posts
Would anyone know how to group the “First U” from a Carve SOP. I would like to emit particles from this slider. I hovered my mouse over this parameter, and it looks like it produces a “domainu1” attribute/variable etc.. I would love to know how you can source it in order to emit particles or do whatever.
Edited by dreamagery2 - Sept. 28, 2016 15:58:47

Attachments:
domainu_question.jpg (291.3 KB)

Greg
253 posts
You can branch out another carve from your input node, and instead of cut mode, set it to extract. There you'll have your point
24 posts
A-OC
You can branch out another carve from your input node, and instead of cut mode, set it to extract. There you'll have your point
Glorious! It worked! Thank you!!
Greg
253 posts
You're welcome.

Alternative if you really want to group it:

Append a uv texture, set it to rows and columns, attr class to points.

Append a group. Entity points, Group by expression. Filter expression: @uv.x==0
253 posts
While we're here, you seem to have a fundamental misconception.

The carve sop doesn't produce a “domainu1” attribute/variable, it's just a parameter to control the Carve.

I think the “domainu1” is determining where in the implicit parametric coords to make the cut.

So if you appended the uv texure sop before the carve and display the attr in the 3d viewport, you could check it's making the cut at the uv.x = “domainu1”, I think.
24 posts
A-OC
While we're here, you seem to have a fundamental misconception.

The carve sop doesn't produce a “domainu1” attribute/variable, it's just a parameter to control the Carve.

I think the “domainu1” is determining where in the implicit parametric coords to make the cut.

So if you appended the uv texure sop before the carve and display the attr in the 3d viewport, you could check it's making the cut at the uv.x = “domainu1”, I think.

Incredible. I'm actually going to try this out. You have been very helpful. I am indebted to you. Thank you.
Greg
253 posts
A-OC
So it didn't work out as precisely as I expected but I managed to adjust it. Here's the setup

The visualize node is displaying the custom u attribute.

Cheers !!
Edited by A-OC - Sept. 29, 2016 16:18:58

Attachments:
qwe.jpg (315.0 KB)

• Quick Links