Polys Copied to Particles

5506   4   1
48 posts
Hi,

I'm looking to copy many polys (letters) to the points of a particle system with a one-on-one correspondence. (ie: poly 0 -> point 0, poly 1 -> point 1, etc). I can do it manually by using the delete COPS for each letter, but I'm looking for a way to do it automatically for several hundred polys.

I know there has to be a simple way …

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert
Adtech Communications Group
110 posts
I think you can achieve that using the Copy SOP to copy the geometry to the particles.
7754 posts
Robert, I think you mean Delete *SOPs*? I'd second Ratmann's suggestion. Stamp which primitive to keep in the Delete SOP using the Copy SOP. It's not exactly a fast way but it sure beats doing it manually.
74 posts
It seems to me that the Primitive SOP does the exact job:
wiring your POPnet SOP to the right input of the Primitive SOP and in the
parameters page( subsec: transform) click on “Do Transformation”.

But: for any method that you use you need to have one primitive for each letter ( the best is to use capital letters) + reorder the primitives of your font SOP with a sort SOP : sort Primitives by X.
120 posts
I'm working on something similar to this right now. I have it working by copystamping the group input on a delete, then sending that into the copy sop.

I'd like to try to make it faster however, right now its extremely slow. (I have around 1300 groups)

Most of the objects to copy are made of multiple primitives, so I'm not sure how to use the primitive sop with it. I thought about trying it with a foreach, but that might be just as slow as well. Any alternatives?
  • Quick Links