Lava Sim to Alembic to Softimage

1723   4   0
15 posts
Hello,

am new to Houdini and just got a chance to put my hands on it and learn how it works.
Great to have a special sub-forum for us SI-users.
Just sitting two days on houdini and already like the workflow. Since I do lots of ICE work in SI, its quite familiar.
Guess, sooner or later I'll switch, even if I freaking love SI

Anyway, I have a question about the alembic workflow.

Did a simple lava simulation (with the lava tool) and used the VDB-Tools to get a mesh.
Used the Attribut Transfer to get the color, temperatur and velocity information.
After exporting with Alembic ROP, I imported the mesh into SI, got all the attributes in ICE and voila, easy, everything is working just fine.

But my problem is, that the color looks like I still render the particles. Like blobby color (not the mesh, thats very smooth and detailed).
Where do I have to go to solve that? In Houdini? Or can I do some work in Softimage?
Or is that a particle seperation question?
Is there a tutorial, that will lead me through coloring lava correctly and export that with alembic?
The “Lava like a Boss” Tutorial is amazing, but does not help me with that problem.

Thanks alot!
marcos
336 posts
Can you be a little more specific on what's happening with the color attribute? Posting an image might be helpful
15 posts
moogtastic
Can you be a little more specific on what's happening with the color attribute? Posting an image might be helpful

sry, thought I did post the image. here it is:

https://abload.de/img/lava_blobbyggsiy.jpg [abload.de]
336 posts
I don't know SI at all so this is a shot in the dark, but it looks like it's not interpolating the point colors correctly. You might try exporting a higher resolution mesh, but I would guess it's something on the import side, the way SI interprets point attributes.
15 posts
moogtastic
I don't know SI at all so this is a shot in the dark, but it looks like it's not interpolating the point colors correctly. You might try exporting a higher resolution mesh, but I would guess it's something on the import side, the way SI interprets point attributes.

got the solution by bluring the vertex points.
not the best, but working for me.
  • Quick Links