Houdini distribute effectiveness

2292   4   1
3 posts
I made a Houdini
Distribution tool on qube.I got many tests on it.However i thought it wasn't as fast as my expectation.I have no idea it's correct or not.
100m flip. 4min/frame use 1node
2min47s/frame 6nodes 2min20s/frame 12nodes

Pyro 400*600*400
1node 1min/frame
4node 58s/frame

Sand solve is fastest I think.
88m sand particles
1node 1h/frame
20node 4min/frame

So someone has same issue with me?or somebody could help me out of this.

Attachments:
image.jpg (400.6 KB)

Staff
4170 posts
Somewhere there are actual number posted, but when you distribute a sim, the only real gain is having more memory at your disposal. The network speed is now the bottleneck, so the primary reason to distribute sims is for cases which can't fit in the memory of a single machine.

Hope that helps!
I'm o.d.d.
373 posts
I recently did two distributed sim tests with flip and the same sim over 4 machines was 42-56% faster total sim time. I had reserved all 4 machines so nothing else would run on them, but I have no idea if they were in the same rack / same switch – that would probably help too. Memory wise it seemed as though each of the 4 machines used up about 1/2 as much memory as when I ram the full sim (not 1/4 as you would maybe expect).
Ian Farnsworth
3 posts
Solitude
I recently did two distributed sim tests with flip and the same sim over 4 machines was 42-56% faster total sim time. I had reserved all 4 machines so nothing else would run on them, but I have no idea if they were in the same rack / same switch – that would probably help too. Memory wise it seemed as though each of the 4 machines used up about 1/2 as much memory as when I ram the full sim (not 1/4 as you would maybe expect).
Solitude
Did you distribute pyro sim?
3 posts
goldleaf
Somewhere there are actual number posted, but when you distribute a sim, the only real gain is having more memory at your disposal. The network speed is now the bottleneck, so the primary reason to distribute sims is for cases which can't fit in the memory of a single machine.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for help! I dont understand why Side fx developed it. I'm alway thinking that make no sense.they need to upgrade it,do they?
  • Quick Links