Procedural Edge Generation ?

1750   2   0
42 posts
Watched a very inspiring webinar Houdini to game dev section the last week. Trying to recreate a similar edge generation technique in the demo.

In the demo, there have been extra polys generated around the edge where inside and outside face are connected, for each chunk. (Screenshot 3)

I got to a point that the edge has been successfully generated where they should be by using a “Polybevel” Sop, but the problem I am having is, those generated edge polys don't have the same width. In fact. some of them are very thin (Screenshot 1 and 2, Red colour are the generated edge polys). unlike the image 3, the width of the poly seems to be more consistent.

I wonder if it would be possible some of you guys could give me more clue and point me to a direction that might be more clever to achieve a similar result to the Screenshot 3.

Cheers
Edited by cgmagic.sunhe - Dec. 5, 2016 11:31:12

Attachments:
Untitled-32.jpg (470.0 KB)

453 posts
Have you tried a polyextrude sop?

Also I am not sure what the goal of this is and therefore I am not sure what is actually required. As far as I can tell from the screenshot, the “inbetweens” actually have thickness and are one connected chunk? I guess one way to achieve this would be schrinking each fractured piece, peak the outter faces out and then boolean those chunks with the original geo.
Or maybe instead shrink each chunk (while maintaining the outter face shape) and somehow creat the inbetweens from the inner faces…

Just some ideas.^^
1 posts
I am also curious about this process. Were you able to figure something out? How did you come to what you currently created?
Edited by Ashlyons - Nov. 11, 2017 00:09:13
  • Quick Links