Dynamic Destruction to UE4

6099   4   1
8 posts
I originally got Houdini after the live stream after seeing the dynamic destruction that was being done. I have followed all tutorials on destruction that I could find, and have some decent sims working currently. Unfortunately I cant find any info on dynamic destruction because 16 is sooo new. Can anyone walk me through a way to achieve this off a current sim in houdini to UE4 I have? Or any older tutorials that I might be able to reverse engineer?

My end goal is to run dynamic destruction on a asteroid as a player mines it in a current game we are working on. It cant be a animation.
240 posts
Hi HyperHoudini!

I'm glad you liked the stream.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the dynamic destruction though, the destruction shown was cached from Houdini and then played back in Unreal.

I've made a couple of videos that explain how to do a skeletal mesh setup that you can watch here

https://vimeo.com/200486713 [vimeo.com]
https://vimeo.com/200486901 [vimeo.com]

With one note about the attributeTransfer needing the be slightly different than what the video says because it has been updated since it was recorded.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Luiz
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
8 posts
I have seen that tutorial, and was able to repo it in UE4 successfully. I guess what I saw in the live stream was not what I thought. A big problem for us has been physics objects that are destructibles. I thought there was a way to achieve this in houdini. To dynamically let a player shoot a physics object like a asteroid and break it apart as a destructible well still being physics objects tumbling around. We can do it in UE4 but the physics are always dicey when adding destructibles to the mix.
603 posts
I'm curious how do you mean dicey? Are you simulating the destruction in the async scene ?
8 posts
chrisgreb
I'm curious how do you mean dicey? Are you simulating the destruction in the async scene ?

No we arent currently. By default I think they are put in both scenes problem is that things in the async scene don't interact with things in the normal scene, which is a problem for us. What we want is collision geometry and applying physics to just some of the bodies without affecting the others. By dicey I mean breaking the illusion, once a destructible piece breaks off, you can't interact with it anymore.
  • Quick Links