HDK - persist data to hip file?

2492   6   2
11 posts
I am writing a system which keeps track of asset metadata within the runtime. It relies on the FS_Helper classes to look up asset locations based on a uri scheme. I would like write data to the hip file on save and fetch it out of the hip file on load. Is this possible via the api?
Edited by jGrBr - March 18, 2017 12:31:31
7743 posts
Traditionally, asset management systems install things like menu hooks and/or expose web interfaces within Houdini's web browser. This allows one to run scripts to create nodes and persist data in the scene file via the created nodes (eg. userdata [sidefx.com]).

Having said that, there are various ways to hack it. One of which is to store scene level “global” variables. eg. OPgetDirector()->getCommandManager()->setVariable(). OPgetDirector() gives pointer for the root “/” scene node. So you could also store userdata there as well (you can call into the Python HOM API from C++).
11 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. One more thing; is there a way to register on-save and on open callbacks in c++?
7743 posts
No, which is also why having custom nodes in the scene might be a good idea.
11 posts
That is too bad. I noticed

OP_Director
….
void setSaveCallback (SaveCallback cb, void *cb_data)
void removeSaveCallback (SaveCallback cb, void *cb_data)

and was hopeful that this capability existed via the HDK. What is the SaveCallback used for?
7743 posts
Ah, sorry. There's setSaveCallback() but there's no callback for open.
7743 posts
Oops, spoke too soon. Try OP_Director::addEventCallback().
  • Quick Links