Arrow Keys and COPs

3578   3   0
4262 posts
:evil:

Anywhere in Houdini if I tap the Left/Right Arrow keys it advances the playbar a frame. If I hold down the L/R Arrow keys it scrubs through each frame.

This is good.

However….*grumble*

First-
If I hold down the Left/Right arrow keys for more than a second Houdini starts to play the animation for me. I find this bloody annoying and would love to know how to turn this off.

Second-
This is even worse in COPs, because if you tap left/right arrow keys too quickly, (before the previous cook has finished), Houdini gets confused and thinks I'm holding down the arrow key and because of above starts to play the animation for me.

Being able to turn this off will make Mario and JC very happy…because I'll stop swearing so much.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
412 posts
oh yea… that tapping thing..it seriously drives me up a wall.. really need to fix that.. :evil:
Dave Quirus
Staff
5161 posts
That looks like a bug. It's supposed to play while you're holding down the key, and then immediately stop when you've released it. It doesn't appear to be processing the release properly, so it's not stopping.

The reason it's been changed is so that scrubbing playback isn't tied to your key repeat rate. It used to be that if you held the key to scrub, the OS key repeat would send multiple key events to Houdini, each of which would advance a frame. This tended to play a bunch more frames after you released the key (kind of like now). Also, the individual key events started and stopped the audio for each frame, making it stutter, whereas now it'll play smoothly.

I'll submit a bug about this.
4262 posts
Ah, I remember the old way now….and I agree, the extra frames after you released the key were annoying too.

The newer method will be really nice once it processes the key release events.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
  • Quick Links