Gridmarket pre flight issue?, houdini environment variables issue??

3565   7   1
48 posts
Hi There

I hope someone can help because I have no idea what I've done wrong.
When I look at the preflight window I have a whole lot of red folders and files as per the attached screen grab.

I'm guessing my environment are wrong or something?

The way I have it set up (or not) on windows 10 is Houdini program files are in the cprogram files..

My Hip file is on d

If I read setenv from textport with the hip open $HIP = d:

Any help much appreciated.

thanks
Nigel.
Edited by nigelgardiner - April 18, 2017 21:14:16

Attachments:
preflight issue.PNG (59.9 KB)

2042 posts
You need to set up the server so it can see those ‘external’ files.

Click on “Add Additional File” and it will let you set that up. For the file/s you wish to include.

Then you can put in the Environment variable that your hip file uses to refer to the ‘external’ file.

Then just save and quit the pre-flight window, then open it again and if all is right your items will be green.

And you will also see new entries in the Root Variable and Remote Root Column of the pre-flight window.

It's been a few months since I've tried using GM so I might be not be remembering the details right for your issue.

So give support a shout if it doesn't work out. You might have to wait a bit, but I find the guys are very helpful in sorting out stuff like this.
48 posts
I tried adding in the render folder for download and that works ok but I need to get rid of the stuff in red as it errors out in console and won't continue.

I've given support a yell so hopefully they get back to me soon ish. Frustrating, but my own fault I guess I should know about the structure of the file setup..

Thanks.
48 posts
Actually sorry, what do you mean by "Then you can put in the Environment variable that your hip file uses to refer to the ‘external’ file.

Excuse my ignorance.
2042 posts
First…I brought up my old file and I realized I missed telling you a step.

After you add your file in the pre-flight you will then need to select the directory that contains the file you need to include and click on “Add Root Variable”.

As for
"Then you can put in the Environment variable that your hip file uses to refer to the ‘external’ file.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that, since I don't know the context of the files you need to include. Since the add file and add root is maybe all you need to do.

I had two different cases. I'll just explain one of them involving Python.

In the Python Source Editor of my hip file I was referencing an external file that contained python functions I had written.

In order to use those functions, in the Python Source Editor I had to place the following:

import sys
sys.path.append("C:\Users\Me\Documents\Houdini Projects\Python Functions")

import MyFile_that_has_the_functions

And as is, for me to use it on my machine doing all my rendering localy - It's fine and works as is.

So for GM…

in order to include ‘MyFile_that_has_the_functions’ in the pre-flight…

I did addfile, selected the directory and did add root.

Then in pre-flight I gave the Environment Variable name of $MY_PYTHON.

Then saving and closing pre-flight, that Environment variable was added to my hip file.

And going to ‘Aliases and Variables’ under Edit tab of hip file, and in that under the variables tab can be found the new Environment Variable in my hip file:

MY_PYTHON                            C:\Users\Me\Documents\Houdini Projects\Python Functions

But in order for it to all work I had to go back to the Python Source Editor and change it to:

import sys
sys.path.append( hou.expandString("$MY_PYTHON") )

import MyFile_that_has_the_functions

Because when the server starts to render and sees $MY_PYTHON it knows to use “my_python”

( “my_python” being what the pre-flight created after I typed MY_PYTHON, which you see happens when you do add root part of the process )

which resides on the server and is pointing to the file on the server; Otherwise leaving my hip with:

sys.path.append("C:\Users\Me\Documents\Houdini Projects\Python Functions")]

That hip file on the server will try to look on my local disk, so it won't work.

It's like the whole process is trying to set up what you have locally and duplicate it on the server side.

I'm probably not explaining it technically correct, but hopefully you get a general idea - if I haven't created more confusion.
Edited by BabaJ - April 19, 2017 11:29:12
48 posts
Hi BabaJ

Thanks,yeah I managed to figure that out. The preflight was looking for links in disabled nodes, once I cleared those out it was fine. And yeah I should stick to relative path references..

However I still have a problem with that hip file and gridmarket as I was using the Physhader and that isn't working, I thought I could just upload the hda but that doesn't work. Gridmarket are currently looking into it but are to busy today to resolve it here and now.

Thanks very much for your detailed description, appreciated.

cheers
Nigel.
2042 posts
Hmm..would be curious to know if it works out for you reference the hda.

I'm currently still waiting for them to figure out a way to be able to use my hip files that have hdas that also have vex wrangles that reference external header files with the #include statement.

We went through the syntax of setting it up ( similar to what I described for python ), but it still won't work.

Not sure if there's something they need to setup differently on their end or some changes that need to be made on Houdini's side.

It's been a few months now.

Would be nice if it gets resolved, as GM seems so simple compared to the learning curve I need to go through in order to either set up my own farm or use some of the other potential services.
48 posts
I'll post if/when it get resolves.
I had similar issue with blender and a meshing plugin I was using with the Renderstreet farm, that was eventually resolved and the issue apparently was the plugin needed to be installed in the correct place their end in order for it to propagate across the nodes. Hopefully this is something similar.

Tho I guess if that's the case it still means any external custom code needs to be installed at their end rather than simply being uploaded at preflight stage.

Not that I know much about this at all.

So now I need a Pbr Glass shader but I'm running 15.5, do I take the punt and switch to 16 and trial the new glass shader hoping my hip file will work… questions questions and the day is short.
  • Quick Links