Schools that teach houdini on the Grad level.

13652   13   4
6 posts
i'm coming up on Graduation rapidly , i would like to go on to my MFA, and i need to know what other colleges teach houdini on the master level.

I have basic exseriance now and will be taking particals in the spring .

any input would be helpfull
thank you in advance .
paint.
7025 posts
I'm doing my MA at Bournemouth U in England, it's a good programme! They have a couple of options that teach Houdini, MA in Effects, MA by Project (though the latter you are expected to know the software already) and the Msc does some Houdini too.

http//ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/newhome/

Cheers,

Pete rB
6 posts
thank you. do you have any more info on , the type of course work they do?

I have basic Houdini , from Clarks class at SCAD, and will be taking Particals in Spring, before I Finish my BFA,

I wanted to know if their were any distenct features ,or benifits of one program over another.

we do a few projects here , basic modleing , and incorperating exspressions. their are a few side projects going on with useing Renderman shaders with houdini that are becoming more popular,( one of the more interesting ones incorperating pointclouds into collected data to create a scene. )

I was also interested in learning more of this in-houdini compositing system .
405 posts
Hey Paint,

I am going to be doing my MFA I think at UGA and some of my research will involve Houdini and they had another student do some research in Houdini at UGA but I think he has left. They don't have any courses in Houdini mind you. I think if you are looking for courses in Houdini probably SCAD is you best bet but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
55 posts
ill back pete up with the MA at Bournemouth - ive just finished mine there. I joined as a photographer, who knew nothing about CG, to feeling pretty confident to go on my way with Houdini.

I highly recommend this course, but as with all things like this, you get out what you put in.

Cheers

J
21 posts
We're introducing a graduate Houdini course this spring in the Academy of Arts, San Francisco
6 posts
do you have any more info on the san fran , and UK houdini course.?
what it covers ect?
project that were done ?
programing that was covered ?
basically i'm trying to figure uot whats the mose emmersive way to go.

otherwise I may end up staying here . or trying to get into the bootcamp.
7 posts
I’m a US citizen getting an MFA at City University of Hong Kong. My thesis work and most of my class work has been focused on Houdini.

There is one class in the very open graduate curriculum entitled “Procedural Animation” that uses Houdini exclusively and looks at it as a tool for creating generative art.

Houdini is not a featured item in the curriculum, and none of the professors in the current lineup are Houdini “Experts”. This means that they aren’t much help with syntax, or specific methodology… I have done a lot of self teaching during my work here. However all the animation faculty have solid skills in 3-D and most come from a programming background. Most have worked in the industry and have useful stories about how things go in the real world. As I have switched boats from sound to 3-D, I have drawn heavily from their expertise.

I have been encouraged to follow my own path here, and have completed assignments for many classes using Houdini instead of the software preferred by the instructor. I have also been granted some leeway, stretched some deadlines… as the faculty has been very supportive of my efforts to reach a level of proficiency with this software.

The classes are all officially taught in English, and I have had no problem understanding my instructors, however the culture does not seem to encourage “critiques” as I knew them in the US.

The workload is quite heavy as the program of 54 credit hours is completed in 2 years. There are lots of capable students here and I am drop jawed at some of the work that comes from our labs.

The program is substantially less expensive than similar programs in the states, and when I’m done working I get to explore Hong Kong.

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/cityu/dpt-acad/scm.htm [cityu.edu.hk]

http://www.soundave.com/ [soundave.com]
581 posts
We are preparing introductory courses for all the artist who wants to know Houdini at Aula Tematica in Spain.
The course levels goes from begginer to intermediate, and is focused to people that wants to extend their knowledge about animation and effects.
The course covers a complete project from modeling to compositing, so the students can knows HOW Houdini works and the whole process of a 3D work using Houdini.
Course syllabus:
http://www.aulatematica.com/ing/index.html [aulatematica.com]
Go to Courses->Regular Training->Houdini

If you need more info don't hesitate to send me a private message.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
2 posts
Hi there,

Thanx sounddave for the info on City university hong kong! i will check it out as its close to my country(india). Also is it possible to have a list of schools/colleges teaching HOUDINI?
I am specially interested in Canada. What colleges are teaching HOudini in canada other than VFS. thats a damn expensive course for 4 months.
i am looking for a one year course and that too just HOUDINI specific.
Pls do reply.
Also, sounddave pls tell us more about the course at city uni hong kong. the curriculum, the tution fees and life in hong kong!
thanx,

Digi
:-)
“I don't have any signature.”
7 posts
Hey Digitalwokshop,

Tuition for the MFA program at City U HK is 21,00 HKD per semester. The undergraduate program is about 25% more expensive.

The shcool welcomes international students and as you probably know here is a large group of people from India that have settled in HK.

Check out the web sites I posted plus these 2:

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/ [cityu.edu.hk]
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/cityu/dpt-acad/scm.htm [cityu.edu.hk]

for more info on both HK and the program.
20 posts
paint
thank you. do you have any more info on , the type of course work they do?

I have basic Houdini , from Clarks class at SCAD, and will be taking Particals in Spring, before I Finish my BFA,

I wanted to know if their were any distenct features ,or benifits of one program over another.

we do a few projects here , basic modleing , and incorperating exspressions. their are a few side projects going on with useing Renderman shaders with houdini that are becoming more popular,( one of the more interesting ones incorperating pointclouds into collected data to create a scene. )

I was also interested in learning more of this in-houdini compositing system .
Ha, a fellow SCAD member. I'm taking houdini 1 right now from Bernard.
2 posts
Hi there,

I am very keen to apply to SCAD. when is their next intake? Since i am from india, so the first question is if they take international students? Is it MA or MFA? How long is the course? 2 year or one year course? course content. curriculum. I am sorry for writing this one big questionnaire but i guess this is the best place as i see lot of SCAD people here. And yes, one more thing. SCAD is visiting delhi in march. so i will meet the international admission agent/advisor and apply. And…..the biggest thing….SCHOLARSHIPS? do they give scholarships? to intl. students?
i dont think i would be able to pay 23,000 USD!!!!!
will have to sell my house, my car for that….he heh eheh
but pls do reply someone. any current students from the same course.that wud be the BEST!!
regards,

Digi

P.S. – i am waiting.
“I don't have any signature.”
6 posts
hey other SCAD , person….

I ended up getting accepted into the Vancouver Film School program..

but this topic turned out to be helpfull for a few others so it was worth posting ..

digitalworkshop
Hi there,

I am very keen to apply to SCAD. when is their next intake?
constant in take

Since i am from india, so the first question is if they take international students? Is it MA or MFA? How long is the course?

they happly take students from, I think 52 countries

2 year or one year course? course content. curriculum.
depending on what you want to do, undergrad is a 4 year BFA, Graduate , is normallt 2 years, houdini classes at the moment are taught by Bernard, houdini specific classes consist of 2 courses, intro to procedural animation and particals. first class normally covers all the basics and some scripting, second class focuses , on Particals, VEX, ect.

beyound that the VSFX major also covers , programing, scripting , Renderman 1 &2, some pipline ect.. as well as a lot of intense hands on work . for more info see the SCAD.edu website

I am sorry for writing this one big questionnaire but i guess this is the best place as i see lot of SCAD people here. And yes, one more thing. SCAD is visiting delhi in march. so i will meet the international admission agent/advisor and apply. And…..the biggest thing….SCHOLARSHIPS? do they give scholarships? to intl. students?

yes they have scolarships.

i dont think i would be able to pay 23,000 USD!!!!!

eh… i'm paying $32,000.00 (becuse then you have to live..) but thats why we have sallie mae and terri,

will have to sell my house, my car for that….he heh eheh
but pls do reply someone. any current students from the same course.that wud be the BEST!!
regards,

sorry I just saw that now..
  • Quick Links