Mantra GPU Rendering option

28990   24   5
4189 posts
Just throwing this in here… initial GPU testing shows ~5x faster for super quick low detailed stuff - Octane vs Mantra. Great for slamming something together. Those 5mins flipbooks take ~ 1 min

Guess we wait for v3 for fog and Deep rendering… that would allow you to use it in combination with Mantra when need.

Also looks a bit buggy or not as integrated as Mantra - i.e. geometry lights don't always stick when changing frames, and you have to reload when turning on and off geometry.

More testing needed though overall. YMMV.

Gtx980 and 2 x 5680 @ 3.33. Win 7 Houdini Fx 14.0..361
83 posts
MartybNz
Also looks a bit buggy or not as integrated as Mantra - i.e. geometry lights don't always stick when changing frames, and you have to reload when turning on and off geometry. More testing needed though.

Remember that the Octane for Houdini plugin is in beta, so some problems are expected. Feel free to post all the problems you could find in the plugin forums at the OTOY site to try to fix them as soon as possible

-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
175 posts
MartybNz
Just throwing this in here… initial GPU testing shows ~5x faster for super quick low detailed stuff - Octane vs Mantra. Great for slamming something together. Those 5mins flipbooks take ~ 1 min

Guess we wait for v3 for fog and Deep rendering… that would allow you to use it in combination with Mantra when need.

Also looks a bit buggy or not as integrated as Mantra - i.e. geometry lights don't always stick when changing frames, and you have to reload when turning on and off geometry.

More testing needed though overall. YMMV.

Gtx980 and 2 x 5680 @ 3.33. Win 7 Houdini Fx 14.0..361
Redshift is even faster in most cases.
101 posts
On the subject of a “GPU option” for mantra …
I watched this nice presentation of Houdini 16 new capabilities : Shading in Houdini 16 // Kai Stavginski // Houdini Day at FMX 2017 [vimeo.com]

… at the very end of the presentation, a member of the audience asks a question about a possible future version of Mantra with GPU. Kai Stavginski answers with a “ Maybe …. ”
Am I seeing to much into this “maybe ..” ?
Did he mean “Maybe, I really don't know” or “Maybe … wink, wink”.
I realize the humongous size of such a task, so I try to not hope for it too much …
https://vimeo.com/user43710534 [vimeo.com]
175 posts
They will be forced to do it eventually. The sooner they jump the train the better I think.
  • Quick Links