Crown splash particle fluid unit example

2175   3   1
280 posts
in the crown splash unit example the volume size is 7X5X7 now why isnt it in world unit?
unless i mistaken the crown splash is 7 meters X 7 meters wide? isnt that too big for a crown splash…
i wonder if theres a spatial scale setting that i missed?
or is it a common practice now for small scale simulation use an upscale version of the world size?
if thats true… i wanna know how much should i scaled the sim up to get the nice simulation and as close to the realworld as possible….

thanx
Patar
2540 posts
Let's face it, the crown splash is a fantasy element encouraged by advertising. If the crown splash were real you'd have to be an insect living in a slowed down time space to perceive what the shelf tool generates.

For more real-world practical elements, such as pools and rivers and flooding try to stick to real world units as much as possible. But for concept shots I think it is ok to bend the rules and choose a scale that works best for the quickest simulation.

And that is mainly what is going on here. If you try to implement real world units you sometimes need an excessive amount of particles just to cover the area. In the end it is more about what looks good, fits your shot and fits into the amount of memory that have in your computer.
Edited by Enivob - June 2, 2017 10:04:00
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
73 posts
In general it's a good idea to use real-world units so everything plugs together nicely. However, the motivation for this shelf tool was to produce stable, slow-motion behaviour off the shelf. Even gravity was scaled down.

It should be pretty straight forward to modify the setup from the shelf tool to create a crown splash on the order of millimetres if real-world units are needed (NB: you likely will need substeps for stability).

Take care,
Ryan
280 posts
yes im just trying to get the hang of it…i mean if not real world scale is it by a factor of 10? or 100?
from the looks of it 100 is more like it……

best regards
Patar
  • Quick Links