Hibernate mode for Sops?

1361   2   0
4189 posts
Just wondering if there is a hibernate/sleep mode for Houdini Sop networks? It would work in such a way that when you quit and reopened a .hip file it wouldn't need to recook the network tree as Houdini has written out a what is in ram to a cache file. Kind of like the way you can restart a render that has stopped midway through.

Thx!
Staff
6219 posts
No. It would be a rather tricky endeavour. It is not enough to save all the geometry of all the SOPs, it is also important to save out the dependencies so they will re-awaken properly when you start changing parameters again.

This will also tend to generate gigabyte sized .hip files as often the .hip file is very small but references huge data sets.

You can manually freeze node chains using the Lock flag or the Stash SOP. But your IT department may be by asking why your backup directory is so huge :>

I'd really like this to be solved on the OS level. No reason why my OS can't snapshot a particular process and re-activate it later. It is always fun working with emulators where this is trivial.
4189 posts
Very interestingly. StashSOP is pretty much the reason I had thought of the question, and opposite to what I had seen, does look like it it works properly.

The script had a template flag above the StashSOP that was forcing a re-tetrahedronize to happen upon opening the script, and, that being a slower node prompted the question! Thanks again.

PS my vote is for an OpenCL version of SolidEmbed.
  • Quick Links